• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lovens

Setting up a CVS server

This topic is 3562 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I would like to setup a CVS server for 2 projects I'm working on. In a perfect scenario, it would integrate in Visual Studio 2008 and would be free. In a previous project we used "Turtoise CVS" or something like that but we had a hard time integrating it with Visuals Studio 2003 at the time... Anyways a nice "how to, step by step" would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I assume that since you're setting up a server that you don't have an existing repository.

In this case you might as well abandon CVS in favor of something without all of its problems. The canonical replacement is subversion. There's a Tortoise SVN client and a good PDF book available for free which will walk you through setting up a server.

However, I would suggest that you also also look a couple of distributed systems such as Git and Mercurial, which have numerous benefits over centralized source control software.

I do not know how any of these tools would integrate with your particular IDE. I hope others can fill you in that respect. I assume there would at least be something for subversion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!