• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
luzarius

Challenge: Medieval character customization with one skinned mesh.

This topic is 3501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How could it be done? One skinned mesh representing one humanoid model. How would you add different pieces of armor & weapons while maintaining a high FPS? BaseHumanoid.x (Naked Humanoid) Helm - Attach a mesh to the skull. Short Hair - Attach a mesh to the skull. Long Hair - Perhaps a sub mesh group in another skinned mesh, BaseHumanoidLongHair.x Cloak - A very common item in games, so perhaps this should be a permanent sub mesh group in BaseHumanoid.x ... But sub mesh groups are expensive. Is there a better way? Gloves - Well you could just replace the texture but then there will be no edges that define the gloves edge. Perhaps one should add an additional mesh to the forearm bone to give the glove nice edges so it looks like a real glove. Bracer - I think the bracer would be a mesh that attaches to the forearm as well. Skinning such an item would not be efficient. Shoulder - Once again this would be a simple mesh attachment to the clavicles. Vest - Here is where it gets tricky. The first thing I would do is replace the texture. But how would you give the vest armor nice edges to define its shape? Do you replace the BaseHumanoid.x model with something like BaseHumanoidVest.x ?? or do you somehow add another mesh to give the armor nice edges and somehow blend this piece in with the base models replaced texture? Gorget (neck armor) - This would be a simple mesh attachment I would think or you could replace the texture around the neck. But to give the gorget a nice edge I would think the mesh attachment would be better. Leggings - Like the vest this looks like a tricky one as well. You could simply replace the texture or have different material groups I would think. But how would you give the leggings nice edges or bulk? It seems you would have to maybe have BaseHumanoidLeggings.x ?? But then you would have to have BaseHumanoidVest.x then finally BaseHumanoidLeggingsVest.x if the user puts on both pieces. This is confusing. Boots - Once again replace the texture or assign a different texture to a material group. Then maybe in order to give the boots a nice edge/depth/bulk you could add a mesh to the shin bone? Sword & Shield - Simple attachment of mesh to the hand bone I presume. I hope someone in the industry can shine some light. Luzarius

Advertisement
PC market. I don't have access to DX10 engine unfortunately.

I was hoping there was some kind of modeling technique I could use so I only had to use 1 skinned mesh but still maintain full character customization.

I wouldn't start with a full body. Split the body into areas that need to be switchable. I.e. Arms, Legs, Head, Torso. Then switch those parts as needed. I.e. the character puts on gloves, switch naked arms mesh with glove wearing arms mesh.

If you know which parts need to be switched it shouldn't be hard to come up with a good way to split your mesh.

Weapons and shields would be attached to suitable bones. If there are no suitable bones, add them.

I'm not sure what your performance concerns are, so I can't answer that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!