• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pickleninja

Flash or Ajax?

This topic is 3532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I've been visiting this site quite a bit over the past couple weeks, but this is my first post...so HI :D I was hoping you guys could help me with a little problem I've been having. I want to build a multi player game (4 max) that mimics the feel of golden axe or double dragon. Basically a side scroller that lets you move in 3 dimensions (kinda). And like the subject states I don't know weather to choose javascript or flash. Personally I don't know anything about flash, so I have been wanting to go the route of javascript/xml so I don't have to learn a whole new programming language. But at the same time I don't want to get 4 months into this project only to find out that the game is slower than snails and basically unplayable with more than 1 person on the screen. Any help is greatly appreciated. -Pickle

Advertisement
I'd go for Flash over javascript for almost every kind of game. Flash is very well suited for game-development, javascript not so much. I think the numbers speak for themselves in that regard.

Actionscript shouldn't be too difficult to get used to if you're already familiar with javascript. As for Flash game development, you should be able to find a good dose of tutorials and articles to get started - it's quite popular these days.

EDIT: The multiplayer aspect may be trickier to pull off though. As far as I've seen, you're going to need a server for that, at least for player matchmaking. I haven't looked further than that though, as it looked like more work and money than it was worth to me. I imagine the same goes for Ajax though.

Yup..decided to go with flash lol. I'll still use java script for a couple things, but mostly it's going to be flash/action script.

Thanks guys :)

-Pickle

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!