Flash or Ajax?

Started by
2 comments, last by Pickleninja 15 years, 3 months ago
Hey guys, I've been visiting this site quite a bit over the past couple weeks, but this is my first post...so HI :D I was hoping you guys could help me with a little problem I've been having. I want to build a multi player game (4 max) that mimics the feel of golden axe or double dragon. Basically a side scroller that lets you move in 3 dimensions (kinda). And like the subject states I don't know weather to choose &#106avascript or flash. Personally I don't know anything about flash, so I have been wanting to go the route of &#106avascript/xml so I don't have to learn a whole new programming language. But at the same time I don't want to get 4 months into this project only to find out that the game is slower than snails and basically unplayable with more than 1 person on the screen. Any help is greatly appreciated. -Pickle
Advertisement
I'd go for Flash over &#106avascript for almost every kind of game. Flash is very well suited for game-development, &#106avascript not so much. I think the numbers speak for themselves in that regard.<br><br>Actionscript shouldn't be too difficult to get used to if you're already familiar with &#106avascript. As for Flash game development, you should be able to find a good dose of tutorials and articles to get started - it's quite popular these days.<br><br><br>EDIT: The multiplayer aspect may be trickier to pull off though. As far as I've seen, you're going to need a server for that, at least for player matchmaking. I haven't looked further than that though, as it looked like more work and money than it was worth to me. I imagine the same goes for Ajax though.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Flash has sockets. nuf said.
Yup..decided to go with flash lol. I'll still use java script for a couple things, but mostly it's going to be flash/action script.

Thanks guys :)

-Pickle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement