Sign in to follow this  
Antonym

Asteroids

I am working on an asteroids like game and was wondering if there was an efficient/easy/proper way of doing the 'destroy asteroid two smaller ones spawn'. Right now I have it setup so there's an object class containing all properties and functions for those properties which derives into a 'ship, missile, asteroid, effect' classes. Each with a different constructor(Which sets all the appropriate stats), 'update','handle_collision' and 'handle_death' functions. I was wondering if I could make the most of the single asteroid class instead of having to create a 'big' 'small' 'regular' etc ones. I am using c++. Any advice/info would be appreciated. Thanks

Quote:
Original post by Antonym
I was wondering if I could make the most of the single asteroid class instead of having to create a 'big' 'small' 'regular' etc ones.
You definitely can make the most of it but you will still need big, small and regular versions of something; it depends on what an asteroid is in term of its representation, some examples:

// An asteroid as an image
Asteroid smallAsteroid( loadImage("small.bmp") );

// An asteroid as a collection of vertices #1
Asteroid bigAsteroid( BIG_ASTEROID_VERTS );

// An asteroid as a collection of vertices #2
Asteroid regularAsteroid( generateVertices(REGULAR_VERT_COUNT, REGULAR_RADIUS, REGULAR_VARIANCE) );

// An asteroid as a 'circle'
Asteroid comedySizedAsteroid( comedyRadius );

[Edited by - dmatter on January 16, 2009 10:08:53 AM]

I suppose I would only have to pass different arguments to the constructor my only problem is the 'handle_death' function which is the one that spawns the new asteroids(once the current one dies)

This is how the asteroid class looks right now

#include "Asteroid.h"
#include "Object.h"
#include "Application.h"
#include "Game.h"

//Set
Asteroid::Asteroid(D3DXVECTOR2 new_position, float new_rotation, Application &application)
:
Object(new_position,
new_rotation,
application.get_sprite("asteroid"),
6, //radius
2, //mass
2, //impact damage
2, //hit_points
.2, //speed
ASTEROID), //type
rotate_amount(0)
{}

//Update
void Asteroid::update(Game &game)
{
DWORD time = timeGetTime();
if((time - get_time_since_last_shot()) > get_cooldown())
{
set_time_since_last_shot(time);
rotate_amount = game.random_number((float)-1,(float)1);
}

rotate(rotate_amount);
}

//Handle Collision
void Asteroid::handle_collision(Game &game, Object &other)
{
if(other.get_object_type() != ASTEROID)
{
set_hit_animation(true);
damage(other.get_impact_damage());
}
}

//Handle Death
void Asteroid::handle_death(Game &game)
{
game.create_asteroid(get_position(), get_rotation());
game.create_asteroid(get_position(), get_rotation());
}

Mike has written an Asteroids sample for SlimDX's samples collection. It handles this very problem -- perhaps you might want to take a look at it? It's in C#, but the logic is essentially the same and I think you should be able to follow the syntax of C# well enough to understand it.

You have the basic idea down. The size of your asteroid is a property of the asteroid (in the SlimDX example, I believe this is an enumeration of the three different levels of asteroid size). On death, if the size is not the smallest, two asteroids of the next-smallest size are created. Otherwise (when the size is the smallest) the asteroid is just destroyed without spawning new ones.