Sign in to follow this  
Cineska

Reconstructing Position from Depth Data

Hi! A pitty that the old thread was closed. http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=506573 I found a shader code and the line that got my attention was: float4 pos = mul(ScreenToView, float4(InPosition.xy, 1, 0)); Now with all the calculations floating around I wonder how they are doing this with just a matrix. It's nice and efficent. (At least for the Gpu) I guess it's pretty basic for some of you but maybe you can explain me what they are doing there as I have no clue how to build such a matrix and I'm always open to improve my already to slow shader codes. :) Regards

You need an inverse of the View*Projection matrix,
than in the pixel shader:

// Get world position of this pixel by using the inverse of the ViewProj matrix and the depth
float4 worldPosition;
worldPosition.x=input.texcoord.x*2.0f-1.0f;
worldPosition.y=-(input.texcoord.y*2.0f-1.0f);
worldPosition.z= depth;
worldPosition.w=1.0f;
worldPosition=mul(worldPosition,invViewProj);
worldPosition/=worldPosition.w;

EDIT: Oh, you want the matrix... sry, dont know that

I'm not seeing that exact line anywhere in that thread but it looks like you're talking about what wolf posted in the OP:

FLOAT4 worldPos4 = mul(FLOAT4(screenPos, 1.0f), WorldViewProjInverse);
worldPos4.xyz /= worldPos4.w;

Like neXus said this is just taking a projected coordinate, and multiplying it byt the inverse of view * projection to get a world-space coordinate. It certainly works, however there are more efficient ways to reconstruct position (which you'll see we talk about if you keep reading through that thread)