What's your favorite 2D physics engine and why?

Started by
1 comment, last by Kaze 15 years, 3 months ago
I have a 2D game I've wanted to make for a long time, but it's pretty physics involved. Of course, being the programmer I am, I wanted to program all of it myself (including physics). I finally decided to "make games, not game engines". I haven't used other people's game engines before, so I'm kind of new to it. I've been looking at 2D physics engines and the two I'm most impressed with are Box2D and Chipmunk. I know threads on X vs Y are typically pointless, so rather than turn this into a debate about which is better, I'd like to hear any experiences you've had with either of the two engines, including any pros and cons you noticed. If there's a 2D physics engine other than these two that you really like, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks! I thought of putting this in the Math and Physics forum, but this isn't really a math or physics question. If it's in the wrong forum, I apologize. [edit] Actually, looking back, this probably should have been posted in Game Programming. [Edited by - MikeTacular on January 16, 2009 7:26:38 PM]
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
I've just recently started with a 2d physics game not unlike "The Incredible Machine". I've chosen Box2D because i've heard good things.

And indeed, it is pretty easy to integrate. So far everything i wanted is in there, pretty accessible and works fine. The author openly states that you're free to modify the source if you need anything.

One small thing has come up because it is documented somewhere deep in the bowels. You must not pass pixel count as sizes/positions. If you do use pixel count expect things to move rather slow. If you scale sizes down (you're supposed to use SI units which is fine by me, but should maybe stated in big bold letters at the top) it runs perfectly.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

I'm using box2d because it has stable ports to actionscript and .net. Its very simple to use but the lack of control over its inner working can be annoying for more advanced use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement