2D games

Started by
9 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 3 months ago
i am wanting to get into 2D games what other libraries apart from SDL are theyre i just ask casue im having an awful bother setting up SDL with visual C++ 2008 so ive decided to scrap that idea. I well documented with video tutorials if possible would be lovely Cheers Catkill
Advertisement
Video tutorials? Heh, I think you'd better get used to old-skool reading. ;)

Anyway, you may want to check out HGE (Haaf's Game Engine). It's a bit higher-level than SDL so that should save you some work, too, and it's hardware-accelerated by default (using DirectX under the hood).
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
1. Allegro
2. SDL
3. SFML
4. HGE

These are just some of the more popular libraries. A more complete list of libraries / tools is here.

I saw from yr other thread that you were linked to the Lazy Foo Tutorial. I'm surprised that the Lazy Foo Tutorial didn't help you. But I am afraid setting up any other library will lead you to similar steps, i.e. set up yr paths to the includes and library files, etc....
How hard have you tried.

I hate to say this - the road to being a game developer is riddled with hurdles like this one. You don't want to fall at the first step. All libraries require some set up.
I tried all that but when it said go into options etc half the options which it asked me to go into werent shown, pretty weird did everything it said

Cheers
Catkill
How stuck are you on using C++? If you're willing to switch languages, it might be worth giving C# and XNA a shot.

I haven't actually used XNA much myself, the first games library I tinkered with was SDL so I migrated to SDL.NET when I started using C#. But set-up couldn't be easier. Once you've installed XNA, you'll have a project type (Windows Game or something like that.)

I'd wager a little digging will turn up quite a few web sites and tutorials. Maybe even a few video tutorials :).

Hope that helps.
its not C++ im having problems wiht its just getting the SDL libraries to set up - i dont have the menu options the tutorials tell me

Quote:Original post by Catkill
its not C++ im having problems wiht its just getting the SDL libraries to set up - i dont have the menu options the tutorials tell me

What tutorials were you using and what menu options were you missing?

I check Lazyfoo's Setting Up SDL tutorial against a new project in VC++ 2008 Express and it has all the menus.
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/msvsnet0508e/index.php
Patrick
Some really nice video tutorials for GLUT and OpenGL programming which you can apply to games can be found here
Quote:Original post by Catkill

Are you using the right software? Specifically, Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 Express Edition or Professional?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement