Sign in to follow this  
zyrolasting

Large project habits (C++)

My game engine is getting huge, and even single classes into their own headers/sources is getting to be tough. I'm thinking of the best habits to establish on top of a namespace and I'd like to hear how you organize your projects when they get very big to see if I can learn anything.

Well from how large your projects seems I would assume you did some design and pseudo code in the beginning or at least that is recommended practice from an object oriented perspective. I don't have a hell of a lot of experience in large scale programming but I know that adding as many comments as you can proves to be useful. Perhaps have multiple dl files for definitions, global variables, etc to avoid clutter. I cant think of anything else, but the word "abstraction" comes to mind...i don't really remember what that means from my programming class yesterday but im sure its useful lol

I'll keep that in mind, but I think I'm well commented. I may try static libraries or so, but I do not know how well that would affect my work flow since I'd be stuffing DirectX COM interfaces in them. My issue is more that my project seems overwhelming due to code volume. I do not use any global variables except for one extern for engine access. (Which may be a bad habit, but has made my time programming a hell of a lot easier.)