Advice for Hosting

Started by
5 comments, last by sweetbread 15 years, 3 months ago
I am looking to get hosting for my browser/text based mmorpg. Is there anyone that may have any suggestions on who would have the best service for the hosting?
Advertisement
Well that really depends on your needs getting a free hosting account is easy there are a few places that require a weekly relavent post on there forum or some such things but thats hardly a bad traed off. The real problem you will have is cron jobs if needed and mysql space

Freehostia is a good bet for bolth bandwith and 10 mb mysql space. You can get Cron jobs Via a free cron job website its freecronjobs.net ro some such thing google it :p. For the most part free means there may be down time for your game but its a start right.

Well you got my two recomendations.

Fyi if you are willing to pay for hosting pm me i got a resellers account so i can make you a package :p and cut out all he stuff you dont need to make it abit cheaper.

Payment is by annual btw

Regards Jouei.
What are your requirements?

NearlyFreeSpeech.NET is excellent value if it meets your needs; I've never had any downtime or serious issues with them, and the pricing structure is good if you're not sure of the success of your product.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Storytella
I am looking to get hosting for my browser/text based mmorpg. Is there anyone that may have any suggestions on who would have the best service for the hosting?

Try hosting it yourself!

Seriously, for development purposes I'd say go for it. All you need is a simple broadband connection. In all honesty, I don't suspect that you're going to have that many players initially and as you continue to develop the game, and it's browser text based, so it's not going to realistically require anything like a T1 in the near future, am I correct in that assumption? Besides, hosting something like that would be frowned upon by anybody but actual game hosting services, which host like CoD4 and Unreal servers; first person shooters and other very resource intensive games. Such a service would be Game Servers.

But running your own game servers is just cool! You gotta admit, chicks dig admins!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot mention, it also gives you more experience from the IT perspective; server/network design, assessment, management, security, etc. Any IT experience, no matter how limited, can be helpful when it comes time to actually get a job. Spit n' Polish, son, spit n' polish.

[Edited by - sweetbread on January 18, 2009 3:55:35 PM]
Quote:Original post by sweetbread
Besides, hosting something like that would be frowned upon by anybody but actual game hosting services, which host like CoD4 and Unreal servers; first person shooters and other very resource intensive games. Such a service would be Game Servers.
Storytella said it was a browser-based game, so unless I misunderstand a webhost is needed rather than a dedicated gaming server.

We use HTML rather than BBCode for links here. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into freehostia as well as nearlyfreespeech. as for hosting it myself i'm not too sure of. Before I came back to look at the replies to my post I went with domain.com. Is this a good choice or a bad one? And as jbadams posted i am using HTML ratehr than BBCode.
Quote:Original post by jbadams
Quote:Original post by sweetbread
Besides, hosting something like that would be frowned upon by anybody but actual game hosting services, which host like CoD4 and Unreal servers; first person shooters and other very resource intensive games. Such a service would be Game Servers.
Storytella said it was a browser-based game, so unless I misunderstand a webhost is needed rather than a dedicated gaming server.

We use HTML rather than BBCode for links here. [smile]

Whoa, my bad! Just kinda took it for granted and hit submit, never looking back.... got the original link fixed.

What I meant by needing more of a gaming server service, is that i do believe most webhosts would frown upon the use of a web-based game, I think some may even forbid it in their TOS. It's definitely something to look into before making any sort of commitment....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement