• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thready

OpenGL can't get gluUnProject to work with mouse events

This topic is 3615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Graphics gurus, I'm totally new to OpenGL and I'm trying to convert mouse events into my world coordinates. I've drawn 4 lines making a rectangle on the XY plane and I'm looking at the origin with the camera. The points of the rectangle are (-5,0),(5,0),(-5,5),(5,5)... However, the corresponding translations I'm getting from gluUnProject are (-50,0),(50,0),(-50,50),(50,50). It sure looks like I just need to divide by 10 to get the correct results... Could be a coincidence, so of course I need to know what I'm doing wrong or missing. Here's my world setup code: glfwGetWindowSize( &width, &height ); // Make sure that height is non-zero to avoid division by zero height = height < 1 ? 1 : height; glViewport( 0, 0, width, height ); // Clear color and depht buffers glClearColor( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f ); glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT ); // Set up projection matrix glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION ); // Select projection matrix glLoadIdentity(); // Start with an identity matrix gluPerspective( // Set perspective view 65.0, // Field of view = 65 degrees (double)width/(double)height, // Window aspect (square pixels) 1.0, // Near Z clipping plane 100.0 // Far Z clippling plane ); // Set up modelview matrix glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW ); // Select modelview matrix glLoadIdentity(); // Start with an identity matrix gluLookAt( // Set camera position and orientation 0.0, 0.0, 10.0, // Camera position (x,y,z) 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, // View point (x,y,z) 0.0, 1.0, 0.0 // Up-vector (x,y,z) ); drawOneLine(-5,0, 5, 0); drawOneLine(-5,0, -5, 5); drawOneLine(-5,5,5,5); drawOneLine(5,5, 5,0); ... and then here's where I call gluUnProject from within my mouse moved callback: void CGLFWTestProjectDlg::MouseMoved(int x, int y) { static GLdouble modelmatrix[16]; static GLdouble projmatrix[16]; static GLint viewport[4]; glGetDoublev(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelmatrix); glGetDoublev(GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projmatrix); glGetIntegerv(GL_VIEWPORT, viewport); static GLdouble x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2, rx, ry; gluUnProject(x,viewport[3]-y,1,modelmatrix,projmatrix,viewport,&x2,&y2,&z2); CString S; S.Format("Mouvemoved(%d,%d) --> %lf, %lf, %lf\r\n", x,y, x2,y2, z2); ATLTRACE(S); } Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks a lot for any help! Mike

Advertisement
in your line of code
gluUnProject(x,viewport[3]-y,1,modelmatrix,projmatrix,viewport,&x2,&y2,&z2);

your winZ value shouldnt be 1. it needs to be something between 0 & 1. 0 being your far plane and 1 being the near plane. im not sure as to why you are getting a value that large.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!