2D MMO like original legend of zelda

Started by
9 comments, last by Crazyfool 15 years, 3 months ago
Is it possible to create a 2D MMO that plays like the original legend of zelda? Basically, I know that making twitch combat in 3-d mmo's is difficult, but is it difficult in 2-d? What I'm talking about is fighting in the way you do in legend of zelda (press A to thrust sword). Is this feasible? And would it be very difficult? Scipio7
Advertisement
It's very possible, I don't see why it couldn't.

Asking if it's hard to program depends on who the programmer is.
Yes, it is possible. Many people have made clones of the original zelda games for different platforms (calculators too)

So it is probably possible even in a massively-multiplayer online game?

--Scipio7
I'm confused on the true reason for this topic... Any single player game can be coded to work as an online game. Just think of Tibia, instead change the sprites to links and there you go, Zelda Online.
I'm asking because I've heard that its difficult to have an MMO that has twitch gameplay due to internet issues (lag, etc). I thought this is why there aren't many massively multiplayer first person shooters or action rpg's.

Really I'm asking if it would be simpler to make a 2-d massively multiplayer game that had twitch gameplay than it is for a 3-d game.

Isn't it very difficult to implement twitch gameplay in a 3-d massively multiplayer game? Isn't this the reason mmo rpg's have combat systems that are more like final fantasy than zelda?

--Scipio7
Well, AoC sorta has this, and I think NexusTK (2d mmo) has the whole press space bar to attack one square in front of you.

My game used to have something like that but I reverted back to the targeted attacks. Its much more pleasing/enjoyable.
Quote:Original post by scipio7
I'm asking because I've heard that its difficult to have an MMO that has twitch gameplay due to internet issues (lag, etc). I thought this is why there aren't many massively multiplayer first person shooters or action rpg's.

Really I'm asking if it would be simpler to make a 2-d massively multiplayer game that had twitch gameplay than it is for a 3-d game.

Isn't it very difficult to implement twitch gameplay in a 3-d massively multiplayer game? Isn't this the reason mmo rpg's have combat systems that are more like final fantasy than zelda?

--Scipio7

The "internet issues" won't go away if you change the perspective of the game.

However, there are a lot of games which implement realtime "twitch" gameplay over the internet (basically, every FPS out there), so it is feasible.

I think the reasons why so few MMO RPGs have "twitch" based combat are the same reasons why few single player RPGs have "twitch" based combat. Mainly, it's tricky to combine with the character improvement aspect of RPGs with the purely player skill based "twitch" gameplay.

I remember playing Graal Online ( http://www.graalonline.com/zone/community/gallery ) and it was really Zelda remade into a MMO. Checking the screenshots now it have changed quite a lot.

I personally don't play recent popular MMO.. not only cause they abuse customers by charging per months but principally because I don't like the gameplay of combats. It always end up with a group of people running around in circles, pressing quick keys to cast spells who ends up being an anti-spell for an anti-spell on someone else.. it's just too much. I prefer real action-based combats, where you need to aim, where you can hide behind objects, where you actually have to touch the opponent with physical force (or projectiles) to gives damage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement