Sign in to follow this  
hockey97

making a game engine and a api...

HI, I would love to learn how to make a api and a game engine. I wonder if there are any open sourced game engines and api that I can look at how they coded stuff. I would also like sites that would teach the concepts of making your own api and game engine. Like lets say you plan on making a game console and you need to make your own api and game engine in the game console and also software for game makers to make games for the console. How would someone go about doing it? I notice opengl requires game console makers to license there api to be used on their game console. So I notice each game console has there own api system and game engine for the console. they give game developers a development kit. This kit has software that would allow game makers to make games for the console. I am interested on learning how it's done. if you can refer me to good websites that would help me out. I got a book I bought a while back teaching how to build your own 3d game engine. I know there is alot of math involved. I would love to learn how these things are made. thanks for your time.

Look, it's just my personal opinion, and it might sound a little harsh, but I think making a game engine is one of those things that if you need such a guidance to do them than you are not ready for them. Make some games before you make an engine. It's OK to ask specific questions about technical things, or even about specific concepts of making an engine, but I don't recommend to make an engine before you are experienced enough to figure out the general concept by yourself.

About that API that you want to make - just don't. It's not about experience here - it's about money. Because such APIs are built against many, many devices, for portability - and I'm not talking about Windows-Linux-consoles-pocket calculators portability that everyone wants - I'm talking about GeForce7800-GeForce8800 portability. And trust me - you can't afford that kind of portability. OpenGL is accepted by virtually all 3D cards manufacturers, so it gets updated with the official drivers. DirectX is a Microsoft product, and Microsoft is Microsoft. What do YOU have to offer to the API you'll make?