VS6 Hack - Caret Extension

Started by
11 comments, last by iMalc 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi! I've been lucky enough today to find this little hack for vs6 that add a nice replacement caret instead of the same vertical boring one. You can see the original work here. The new replacement caret is way better now, but do we have to have an horizontal caret in insertion mode that make feel like we are now working in a dos windows??? So, with more luck, using a dissasembler i've been able to find the corresponding injected code, near the end of the file, and done modification so we have a normal vertical carret in instert mode. Here is my version and here is how i've done it:

replaced those(from the given code on the web page):
   push   2     ; nHeight
   push   dword [eax+54h] ; nWidth

for
   push   dword [eax+40h] ; nHeight
   push   2     ; nWidth

and canceled the code that make the cursor draw a line too low by replacing
    inc    edi ; don't increase if we are in OVR mode
and 
    dec    edi ; don't increase if we are in OVR mode

by NOP so this code dont execute and the carret is not moved about a line lower.
Isn't that great? Any Feedback welcome! EDIT: The file to replace is in the folder %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 6\Common\MSDev98\Bin [Edited by - Vortez on January 18, 2009 5:05:25 PM]
Advertisement
Er, or just download Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition, which is free and already has the behaviour you describe?
I know:)
... but like many hobbyist programmers, i like vs6 better, it just compile faster, and is better suited for little programs i make, i dont really feel the need to change unless i would work for a compagnie or something.
I have not known compilation speed to be signifigantly degraded post-VC6.

However, it doesn't much matter since you're comparing apples to oranges. VC6 doesn't compile standard C++, let alone modern C++.

I think your assertion about 'most hobbyists' using it is off base, to say the least.
like many?

uhm, no.. just get vs express and espencially c# for "small programs". you'll compile faster and code faster and be faster and more productive anyways.

and for the real meat, use real c++.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

I did that to help and i got my rating decreased, thx...
Next time i got some usefull code i think im gonna pass...
Quote:Original post by Vortez
I did that to help and i got my rating decreased, thx...
Next time i got some usefull code i think im gonna pass...

I'm sure if people got annoyed with your comment, it is because the message that it's okay to still use VS6 can be mistaken by newer programmers. There are still newbies who pop up from time to time and ask why x, y and z doesn't work when they use VS6. In every case, they are directed to use the newer compiler. VS6 is an awful C++ compiler. It wasn't even nearly compliant with C++98 and was riddled with bugs and edge cases. Most API writers aren't providing VS6 support anymore, including Microsoft. The notion that it's faster to compile a program is generally true, but mostly irrelevant. The compilation speed boost isn't enough to justify using a compiler over 10 years out of date in most cases. Part of the other sensitivity is I imagine some of us have worked with significantly out of date compilers, that companies thought were "good enough". The message needs to be consistent that these compilers aren't good enough and cost more money than they save.

A snippet for VS6 is cool... but probably not useful to most people here.
usually in these forums you'll be rated up only for two reasons:

1. For being politically correct.
2. For being really helpful technically speaking.

If you post (and want) to get you rated up, you must consider those items.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I guess I've never really considered this until now, but it probably also depends on how old your computer is. If it's an old Windows 98 machine with 128MB of RAM, you might not want to use anything past VS6 on it.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Sry if i've flammed this topic with compiler speed, it was not my intention...

Also, thx for the rate up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement