Pointlessness

Started by
32 comments, last by Dae 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Either, but like you I'm especially interested in indie titles.

I've even been thinking about this for games with high production values. Years behind the curve (and on the cheap :>) I've finished Half-Life 2 awhile back, and I thought about how appropriate the ending was given all that had come before, even Half-Life 1. (It was as ambiguous as I expected, given Gordon's lot, and had a giant machine puzzle at the very end.)

The dilemma is the indie games by necessity do not have high production costs, so they generally can only get high production value by with extremely deft development. It's hard to compete on both polish and quantity of content; most indies have to go for the former at the expense of the latter.

Quote:I'm trying lots of strategy and RPG games at the moment. I take your point about the plot (funny how many casual indie puzzler's have one!). A friend suggested that only games with a plot can have a thematic closure that's similar to what we find so satisfying in other media, but I'm not sure I agree.

I'm not sure how you can get thematic closure without some kind of plot. The way I see it, once you introduce a theme and closure a plot will be implicitly introduced. Do you have a counter example that could show me what you mean by a plotless game with thematic closure?

Quote:Pacing's a good one. Out of curiosity, did you just find it too easy or did you have a series of expectations based on the premise of the game?

That might be referring to two questions: poor pacing in games in question, and Crayon Physics Deluxe specifically.

In general, poor pacing is when the difficulty and/or excitement curves are misaligned. It's a problem in freeform RPGs and poorly balanced action games in particular. In freeform RPGs, there can be long periods of grinding extra experience or travelling between points A and B. In both RPGs and action games, there can be points where the difficulty curve was not properly considered. Steep spikes of an extreme difficulty jump will present frustration and loss of enjoyment. Too long a plateau of lower difficulty leads to stagnation and boredom.

In Crayon Physics Deluxe, the gimmick was fine: drawing shapes that turn into physical objects in the world is a great concept. However the puzzles in the demo were really, really easy. I don't think I spent more than a minute solving each one, much less with most, and my first idea always worked. Hence there wasn't any challenge, and that's what is needed in a puzzler. I also felt it didn't quite have the personality spark of other indie puzzlers, like World of Goo, Deadly Rooms of Death or Professor Fizzwizzle.

(Note: I don't particularly want to pick on Crayon Physics Deluxe too much; I'm mainly using it as an example as I only tried out the demo yesterday. Unfortunately for it, I played it just after trialling the freeware somewhat rogue-like Spelunky which is packed full of fun personality).
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I'm not sure how you can get thematic closure without some kind of plot. The way I see it, once you introduce a theme and closure a plot will be implicitly introduced. Do you have a counter example that could show me what you mean by a plotless game with thematic closure?

'Some kind of plot' can be really darn minimal though. For my example, I'd pick Tetris - the escalation of rockets from firecracker to spaceship, and the final twist where the ship stayed and the launchpad blasted off. Kind of like a wordless comic strip or picture book.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Everything non-productive is a waste of time.

Well, if time weren't relative, you would be wasting it.
But really, in terms of our subatomic structure deteriorating, I'd say we could, in effect, be wasting ourselves.
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
'Some kind of plot' can be really darn minimal though. For my example, I'd pick Tetris - the escalation of rockets from firecracker to spaceship, and the final twist where the ship stayed and the launchpad blasted off. Kind of like a wordless comic strip or picture book.

That's still some kind of plot though [smile]. It's very minimal, but there's a series of images in sequence.

A counter-example I've just thought of is Missile Command with the theme of the pointlessness of Mutually Assured Destruction steeped in the whole early 80s Cold War paranoia. There's nothing very plot like in that game, just gameplay, but it does very aptly present the theme of the whole pointlessness of the missile defence system. No matter how well you play, eventually all your cities will die.

I'm filled with closure a lot more by interactive conquest than by fulfilling the designer's hardcoded objectives or story based quests. I often have a hard time enjoying plots/stories/gameplay simply because I know it was designed to happen exactly that way, for every single player of the game, regardless of their past decisions, successes, and failures.

Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid

I've been in many situations that ended with thematic closure without being connected to any type of plot or story. A drawn-out random battle, for example, where I did something really cool at the end to cap off my long struggle against ridiculous odds. As my last enemy dies in slow motion, and my character lands back on the ground from my crazy stunt attack, I definitely feel a surge of completeness to battle.
You wouldn't be thinking "this is pointless" - or you shouldn't be, anyway - if you'd been having fun while playing the game.
Having fun definitely isn't pointless.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Have you ever gotten to the end of a game (or some other point) and thought, "This is a complete waste of time?" If so, what do you think causes that feeling? Is it pacing? Subject matter? Story? Disorganized mechanics?
Setting up an expectation and not meeting it. Sometimes those expectations are pre-existing within the medium or setting.

The RTS game World in Conflict is played as mechanized infantry at the company level, with brigade support available. The first act is fun. But the game then stripped away the tools of the trade, making me play what felt like tutorials. I had to play levels with only helicopers, or only engineers, or only tanks until I was gagging on contrived challenges.

I stopped playing when I was called upon to Take and Hold Seattle, but without using any actual soldiers. It was a 15-hour visit to the uncanny valley.

[Edited by - AngleWyrm on January 18, 2009 10:27:21 PM]
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home
Have you ever gotten to the end of a game (or some other point) and thought, "This is a complete waste of time?" If so, what do you think causes that feeling? Is it pacing? Subject matter? Story? Disorganized mechanics?

I guess it depends on the type of game. For games that actually have a plot, the story has to be good, just as in a book or a movie, plus that, the game has to be good at making the player get immerse into it (to make him buy it). Deus Ex (to me) was exceptionally good at this.

I recently registered in one of those online poker sites and I must say that, being such a simple game as it is, I can stay playing for ours and end up feeling that the time I spended on it was worth for the fun I got from it.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Difficulty

I know that not everyone is the glutton for punishment i am, but an ending is more satisfying if the journey was difficult (length of journey is a different thing altogether).

The one game that comes to mind is R-Type III, probably one of the hardest games ever. When you beat the game on the hardest difficulty level, it just says something like "Congratulations - You're A Super Player" - and that's it! But beating it on any difficulty level is excruciating, so the ending is not important, only the accomplishment of having beaten something so brutally difficult.
I agree with Tom, that if I'm having fun while playing a game, regardless of how fulfilling the ending is, it's not exactly pointless.

It's the point where the game is no longer fun (or interesting), where it would become pointless to continue playing.

Things that kill games for me are:
-Having to grind at all to get past a certain point
-Slow pacing
-Terrible story (especially with ridiculous metaphors, and trying to be too deep)

Forcing my way through these games WOULD be pointless, but I tend to give up before I force my way through a game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement