Total Beginners C++ Game Programming Books?!?

Started by
23 comments, last by noerrorsfound 15 years, 2 months ago
"Sam's Game Programming in 24 hours", by Morrison
I didn't start out with it, but it's a good introduction into the general concepts of games and 2d games in particular, still reading it and using it every once in a while, contains a win32 primer and builds out a 2d engine based on that step by step.
Advertisement
I moved from C to C++ with SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days.

It's a good beginner book. My copy was run over by a train and survived. It isn't that I disliked the book, my backpack was stolen from my car and found strewn across the train tracks. That book was the only thing that survived, it has a crease right down the middle (the book is like 3.5 inches thick) but it's in one piece and readable.

Yes, I am advocating a book because it will survive a train. It also makes a great ad-hock weapon if you ever need to defend yourself in a dark alley. Chances are if it can't double as a deadly weapon it isn't worth reading.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
i just started programming about 2 weeks ago and i got the book "c++ programming for the absolute beginner" and its really good, and all focused on games :)
this is here im learning from http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/
Beginning C++ Game Programming was my first c++ book and it is excellent. You'll see nothing but good reviews on it.

It is also the book this guy mentioned.

"Mike Dawson C++ book if noone has already mentioned it."

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Quote:Original post by CodeStorm
"SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days – By Jesse Liberty"

This was the book that got me started. You don't have to do it in 21 days of course (and I would advise NOT to!) but it's straight forward and streamlined approach made learning C++ quick and easy.

That's also the book I started with and I didn't know anything about programming, except a little QuickBASIC.

I googled around a little, because I thought I've seen an online version of this book before and found this link:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Second Edition

It seems to be complete but I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: Seems like burgert was faster. Sorry, didn't see his post.
I would also advise Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days. I've got the fifth edition by Jesse Liberty and Bradley Jones. I can say I have not finsihed (or am even close to finishing) the book, but what I have read so far is fantastic. Easy to understand explanations and examples.

I saw GameMaker advertised up there somewhere. If you want my advice, DON'T get GameMaker. I have nothing against the program (I've actually used it for about 3 years and love it for the most part), but you'd be amazed how much it can hinder your progression into other languages. The ease of use alone makes it hard to move on, but the coding habits you'll gain are hard to break. I'm learning Java as a stepping stone between GameMaker and learning C++ (and hey, knowing another language isn't so bad either :p). That being said, without GM I probably would've gotten discouraged with programming long ago and given up. So if you ever feel like learning a language is too large a task, you should look GM up. It might give you the spark you need to keep going ;)
____________________________I'm 15, and beginning C#, and maybe Python. I'm fairly experienced in GML as well, and would be happy to help in GM related questions.
alright. thanks for all the replys. i got a few books on the way! :P
l jsym l
You may also want to try the CPP Workshop which used the above mentioned book:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=76
Quote:burgert
this is here im learning from http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/

Quote:Original post by DraganO
Quote:Original post by CodeStorm
"SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days – By Jesse Liberty"

This was the book that got me started. You don't have to do it in 21 days of course (and I would advise NOT to!) but it's straight forward and streamlined approach made learning C++ quick and easy.

That's also the book I started with and I didn't know anything about programming, except a little QuickBASIC.

I googled around a little, because I thought I've seen an online version of this book before and found this link:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Second Edition

It seems to be complete but I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: Seems like burgert was faster. Sorry, didn't see his post.

Erm, are you guys sure the linked content is legal? It even misses the author/s.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement