Sign in to follow this  
helpmenow

how long will 8-bit pallets be around?

ok im working on an rts and like in most rts games each team has its own color but share the same image. now i have a good idea on how to implement this but i want to know for sure that it will be supported in the future. i guess what i want really want to know is there a better way to produce this effect or is this a fairly good way to pull it off?

Well thanks for the reply but using or converting an image is not really a problem for me. its pulling of an effect that only changes a few elements in the pallet to a certain color which is not so trivial of an effect or even possible on a non paletted image unless maybe you wrote a pixel shader of some sort to simulate that effect?

Btw writing a pixel shader is not an option for me so using a palleted image seems like the only way to pull of the effect. Oh there is one other way I just don’t like it. I can render the image once for the textured part and then go another pass for the color but then I double my render time which is also not an option for me.

Btw writing a pixel shader is not an option for me so using a palleted image seems like the only way to pull of the effect. Oh there is one other way I just don’t like it. I can render the image once for the textured part and then go another pass for the color but then I double my render time which is also not an option for me.

Im using textured quads and im probably going to use palleted images.

Well my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 128mb and I plan on having a lot of units per team and I like to pick up speed whenever I can an this is definitely an area where I feel I need it. Mainly because I plan on having lots of particles and effects going on. hh10k Although I might for now I really don’t want to go that rout. thank you for you help though.

What Demirug said. I haven't seen any 8-bit pixel formats in years, and if your card supports them, then you probably have an extremely old card.

You have two options: Use a shader to fake a palette, or use a 32-bit pixel format and work around the lack of a palette.

thank you very much Demirug adn Evil Steve for your answer. that’s basicly what I was thinking but Codeka said otherwise. maybe I will try the pixel shader rout but since ive never used one there might be a problem. so my next slew of questions might be about how to write and use a pixel shader.

I personally hate that all the small bit formats are going away. 4-bit and 8-bit paletted images have tons of uses (like all the decals on racing cars, fonts) Emulating a palette via shaders means you have the handle filtering on your own if you're working in 3D, which is a waste of texture units, shader instructions, etc.

Considering that the biggest weakness of most GPUs is memory bandwidth, it just seems silly to remove the low-bandwidth options.

You could just use plain old multi texturing/texture combiners to achive that effect. It's been a while since I used them so I'm not 100% shure, but you should be able to mix 2 textures and a color per vertex on anything that has at least 2 texture units in one pass.