how long will 8-bit pallets be around?

Started by
11 comments, last by sebbit 15 years, 3 months ago
ok im working on an rts and like in most rts games each team has its own color but share the same image. now i have a good idea on how to implement this but i want to know for sure that it will be supported in the future. i guess what i want really want to know is there a better way to produce this effect or is this a fairly good way to pull it off?
Advertisement
I don't imagine they'll be going away any time soon.

Even if they did, converting from an 8-bit to a 16- or 32-bit format is trivial.
Well thanks for the reply but using or converting an image is not really a problem for me. its pulling of an effect that only changes a few elements in the pallet to a certain color which is not so trivial of an effect or even possible on a non paletted image unless maybe you wrote a pixel shader of some sort to simulate that effect?
Btw writing a pixel shader is not an option for me so using a palleted image seems like the only way to pull of the effect. Oh there is one other way I just don’t like it. I can render the image once for the textured part and then go another pass for the color but then I double my render time which is also not an option for me.
Btw writing a pixel shader is not an option for me so using a palleted image seems like the only way to pull of the effect. Oh there is one other way I just don’t like it. I can render the image once for the textured part and then go another pass for the color but then I double my render time which is also not an option for me.
Why are two passes not an option? You would either need a *lot* of rendering or some very old graphics cards for this to be an issue with an RTS.
I understand the technique you're planning to use, my point was that you can easily convert to a 16- or 32-bit texture at runtime.
Im using textured quads and im probably going to use palleted images.

Well my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 128mb and I plan on having a lot of units per team and I like to pick up speed whenever I can an this is definitely an area where I feel I need it. Mainly because I plan on having lots of particles and effects going on. hh10k Although I might for now I really don’t want to go that rout. thank you for you help though.
8 bit pallets are considered as dead today. Its ages since I saw the last driver that supports this technique.
What Demirug said. I haven't seen any 8-bit pixel formats in years, and if your card supports them, then you probably have an extremely old card.

You have two options: Use a shader to fake a palette, or use a 32-bit pixel format and work around the lack of a palette.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement