Sign in to follow this  
underthesun

limits of multiplayer

Suppose you're in a room that can hold 30 people, roughly the size of a classroom. And there are 30 humans inside each holding, say, a nintendo DS. Will there be things like interference slowing down the network connections? DS is ad-hoc wifi, so if we have 30 iphones and one access point, would it make a difference? I'm just trying to find the biggest ever multiplayer game session ever held using wireless devices..

There are parts of the ad hoc network mode that rely on broadcast, and thus scale poorly when adding lots of nodes. How much of that is implemented and used by the DS, though, I don't know.
Why don't you try it and report back? :-)

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Why don't you try it and report back? :-)

Are you suggesting to him that he gets 30 people with DS' together in one room at the same time, and report on their wifi experience?

In general, yes, Infrastructure networks scale to more users. However, I don't think the DS can run in Infrastructure mode -- from what I know (which isn't totally reliable), it can only run in Ad Hoc mode, and when you buy the special adapter to connect it to a PC, that special adapter also runs in Ad Hoc mode.