Sign in to follow this  
Nene

Odd maximized window behavior

Hi, I've experienced a really odd behavior with Vista SP1 and Directx 9: when I maximize or just resize the window to cover the entire desktop (without maximizing) the frame rate drops from 500fps to 10fps. Also, when Visual C++ is compiling or the CPU is doing intensive operations my mouse slows down a lot. I tested the same with two different applications, and the same problem comes out. I'm afraid this is a vista bug, I hadn't experienced this error before I installed SP1. Please, have you ever encountered a similar problem? Thanks

The maximized window bug is probably due to your graphics card not being powerful enough - what card do you have?
Likewise with Visual Studio compiling. I've never had the compiling problem, but my laptop with crappy Intel graphics doesn't copy very well with a fullscreen 3D, even drawing a single triangle.

I've got a HD 3650 AGP. However, the frame rate drops from 500 fps to less than 10 fps sharply, and I'm drawing a single triangle. It's not necessary to maximize the window: when I resize and cover the desktop completely the problem occurs (even if the resizing has been of only a few pixels!). I didn't have this problem before SP1, and my card drivers were the same. I've just removed Windows DreamScene, but nothing.

I found out the frame rate drop only happens when matching the lower window border with the taskbar, independently of the window dimensions, even if there is a difference of 1 pixel. The frame rate at fullscreen is great. That's weird..

Wasn't there some issue with the little Windows logo for the start menu overlapping programs and slowing them down? I remember hearing something about that. Test it out and see if intersecting with the taskbar but not the circular button causes issues.

You're right!! It's not the taskbar, it slows down only when overlaps the circular windows button. Also, if I open the start menu so that it overlaps the DX window the frame rate drops again. How can I solve this issue?

You can't, as far as I know. It's a known issue with Windows Vista.

Interestingly, the height of the taskbar is a little higher in Windows 7 and the orb doesn't stick out, so it's not really a problem there...

The problem does not exist when I resize the taskbar so that the logo does not stick out. It only happens when matching the Window with the part of the logo that sticks out.