Sign in to follow this  
vanger

How to combine auto generated sphere mapping and texture transformation?

My code is something like this: .... m_pD3DDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_TEXTURE0, pMatrix); m_pD3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_TEXTURETRANSFORMFLAGS, D3DTTFF_COUNT2); m_pD3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, D3DTSS_TCI_SPHEREMAP); .... It seems that Direct3D ignores the transformation from the matrix (pMatrix) and only generates the sphere mapping! I looked into Direct3D pipeline(http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/preview/poster/pipeline-9.0.png). After the automatic texture coordinate generation the texture cooridinate should go to texture matrix transformation. But it seems does not work this way or I did something wrong? Does anyone know what going on here? Thanks in advance

TCI_SPHEREMAP was added in D3D9, so I never used it. In DX8 spheremapping was done with TCI_CAMERASPACENORMAL, and a matrix to scale and bias the values from -1..1 to 0..1. Since this method has existed longer, I imagine most developers are still using this method, rather than the TCI_SPHEREMAP method.

You should be able to combine your matrix with the scale-bias matrix and use TCI_CAMERASPACENORMAL.

Another thing might be that you're trying to translate your coordinates using a regular transform matrix. When using COUNT2 you want to make a 2D transformation where translation is in _31, _32.

I have tried COUNT4 and it did not work!

Namethatnobodyelsetook:
I missunderstood your answer. Now it works, thanks.

But I still don't understand why it is not _41 and _42.
Could you explain me in more detail?

[Edited by - vanger on January 20, 2009 4:00:17 AM]