Sign in to follow this  
patman

Snakeworlds - A Spherical Snake Game

Hi all :) I'd like to use my first post on these forums to announce my upcoming Snake game. The game takes place on spheres / globes in full 3D, and has the following main features: *Three uniquely themed 3D worlds *Polar-based movement *Lightweight RPG-style upgrade system *Online highscore list *English, German and Dutch GUI *Widescreen support By featuring tutorial levels and an advanced system of hints (dots and exclamation marks), the 3D enviroments never feel intimidating. Here's two (slightly scaled) screenies: World2 World1 There's three worlds in total, but i keep the looks of the last one as a little surprise. But it's very different from the two which are shown. This game is being developed with Python-Ogre. And, with a release date coming closer, it's time for some more exposure :) A free (Windows) preview is available from the Snakeworlds homepage. Visit more screens of this snake game. Hope to welcome you soon :) [Edited by - patman on January 15, 2010 6:08:35 AM]

Nice work! Interestingly, I'm using "classic" Snake as the first game in a "book" I'm writing to teach game programming concepts with Python as the implementation language. I might throw a reference to your game (especially since you're using Python) to point out how a simple concept can grow into a compelling game. [smile]

Cheers.

Looks quite nice, but the preview didn't work on my machine. My monitor turned black upon start up, presumably because you were using a resolution higher than 1024x768 or refresh rate higher than 60Hz by default, which is more than my monitor can handle.

And I can't find the uninstaller. Where is it?

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
I might throw a reference to your game (especially since you're using Python) to point out how a simple concept can grow into a compelling game. [smile]

Cheers.

That would be great! Thanks in advance :)

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Looks quite nice, but the preview didn't work on my machine. My monitor turned black upon start up, presumably because you were using a resolution higher than 1024x768 or refresh rate higher than 60Hz by default, which is more than my monitor can handle.

And I can't find the uninstaller. Where is it?

Sorry about the monitor issue; it happens on one of my monitors too. You might try to Alt Tab out and back in to it. Or, find the bin/game.cfg file and set the "Full screen" option to "No" (without quotes).

The uninstaller should be a link in the start menu. One is the game, one is the website and the third is the uninstaller. Otherwise have a look in the program folder itself. Good luck!

Hi again Ezbez,

i have found the black screen issue, and fixed it. Somehow the engine puts the render window in 100hz by default for fullscreen, which is a bit too liberal. I overwrite this now to 60.

However it's not in the preview yet. I need to decide on whether i update the preview, with a release date already nearing, which is taking my time right now.

Just wanted to let you know though :)

Well done!
I was kicking around an idea for a while where the snake would move in ellipses instead of 90 degree angles. I think I like your idea much more-it's simpler but it also adds the layer of depth that I was trying to accomplish.

Sign in to follow this