Sign in to follow this  
blowing20

how to learn direct3d well?

Quote:
Original post by TwistedPix
I think the "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach" book is good place to start.

For someone who's a "clean slate" with direct3d (and possibly graphic apis in general given the rather generic question), wouldn't it be better directly learning the fixed-functionless DX10 architecture? (given that probably it's the same architecture that's going to underlay DX11, DX12, DX13...)

Quote:
Original post by resle
Quote:
I think the "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach" book is good place to start.

For someone who's a "clean slate" with direct3d (and possibly graphic apis in general given the rather generic question), wouldn't it be better directly learning the fixed-functionless DX10 architecture? (given that probably it's the same architecture that's going to underlay DX11, DX12, DX13...)

Actually, not really. I have this book, and it is completely shader-centric from the start. I mean you don't learn geometry shaders in DX9, obviously, but it does start you off writing vertex and pixel shaders right from the start.

It teaches you all the basic maths before you start, so you have a good grounding in matrix transformations even if you're not already familiar with them, so when it comes to calculating all your shader matrices and transforming positions and normals from one space to another, you know how to do it.

It's a very good book, and while DX11 will eventually take over, I think DX9 is going to be around for a long time yet.

resle:

Imo, like sybixsus stated above, that book provides good introduction on math and shaders and i think once you have a solid understanding of the subject it's relatively easy to move to DX10.
Beside that, lots of people still have cards without DX10 support. so i think it wont hurt to learn DX9 first.

Quote:
resle:

Imo, like sybixsus stated above, that book provides good introduction on math and shaders and i think once you have a solid understanding of the subject it's relatively easy to move to DX10.
Beside that, lots of people still have cards without DX10 support. so i think it wont hurt to learn DX9 first.

I believe DirectX 11 allows for some sort of emulation so it can run on dx10/10.1 and 9 hardware. I am not sure the complete details as I haven't yet looked at DX11, I have seen it mentioned around here though, and its mentioned here (wiki)