Sign in to follow this  
Kobaltic

Debugging with vcs 2005 error

When I start to debug it asks me to attach it to a project. I attach it to my program but then I get this error: Debugging infromation for "program.exe" cannot be found or does not match. No symols loaded. Do you want to continue debugging? I just complied the .exe and try to debug it. I am not sure what I am missing. Thanks for any help.

You are trying to debug your project in release mode, switch to debug mode and it should work fine. If you still get the same error using the debug version you will have to change your projects configuration to add debug information to your executable.

Quote:

you will have to change your projects configuration to add debug information to your executable.

You can actually do this in release as well, and it can be useful occasionally.

The settings you'll want to flip, in either case, are those for the generation of debug information and the location of the .pdb files. There are options for both the compiler (the 'C++' section of the options) and linker, so make sure you set them both.

If your program was compiled with debug options but you are attaching it to a context outside of the project directory (e.g., to a deployed version) you'll need to make sure the .pdb is next to the .exe or load it yourself (I recommend the former).

It may help if you try to create a new project and copy the debug-related settings over into your project if they're different -- there unfortunately isn't one simple switch to throw to make everything work here.