Can I get a little help on which complier to use?

Started by
8 comments, last by _Sigma 15 years, 3 months ago
Okay, I've been a programmer for three years and because of my income I'm limited to free compliers. Now the one and only complier I have used is the Dev C++ complier from bloodshed.net. I have been informed that it is inefficant and from my own experience the debugger just doesn't work, which I guess has haulted alot of my own programming projects. Basicly I just would like to know what kind of free compliers the community uses and why they pick them over others. Thanks for the help and happy coding !
Advertisement
Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition is FREE, and has one heck of a good IDE/Debugger. Perhaps you should try it (free from Microsoft's site).
A second for Visual Studio 2008 Express. Visual Studio is pretty much an industry standard for PC / XBox development, and I know people who use it for PS2, DS and Wii development too.
And a third for Visual Studio 2008 Express. Or if you're a student you can get Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition free through Microsoft Dream Spark. Or if you want to use GCC I suggest Code::Blocks for an IDE, but nobody beats Visual Studio's debugger.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
VS is the only way to go in my book. [smile]
Almost no reason to reiterate, but VS 2008 EE is the way to go.
I put in my vote for Code::Blocks. Haven't used Visual Studio much until recently, and it's... not as spectacular as I was hoping. Besides, Code::Blocks is completely free of charge, since it uses GCC and GDB.

Haven't used the VS debugger yet, but I've fixed all of my problems with the GDB.
Both have similar GUIs (in my opinion). Code on the right, project tree on the left, various information below.
Personally, I don't like some of the wording in VS. "Solution" is one used throughout the whole program that sounds like they picked it out of a hat.

Just find what works for you, you can use both for free (Express for VS, Code::Blocks comes free).
OP: You asked which compiler... I am assuming you mean development environment and I will answer accordingly, but be aware your development environment is not your compiler, it is not a 1-1 correlation.

SomeoneX: A solution is a group of projects and it makes creating a suite of test apps to show off a library (or do other stuff) easy. I can't think of a better single word descriptor for it other than "Collection" perhaps... Which is about as ambiguous. I haven't delved too much into multi-project solutions so maybe they are used for more than just that as well, someone else may be able to clarify.

Let me put in my vote for Visual Studio. I've only got 2005, but I got the whole professional suite free through university. I also purchased Visual Assist X and I can vouch that it is well worth the 150 dollars or so it costs for a first time buyer, I just renewed my license (which is only 40 bucks.) Unless VS 2008 is much better than 2005 for intellisense and code tips etc I can strongly recommend also getting Visual Assist X.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by SomeoneX
Haven't used the VS debugger yet...

The debugger is a big part of why people like it. Of course no debugger is ever perfect, but the VS debugger is better than most. It's also FAR better than the other debuggers available for console systems (does my NDA allow me to say that?)

Also, I agree about the "Solution" term. When they first renamed it from 'workspace', it left me with a very strong "buzz-word aftertaste."
With respect to "solution" I agree it sounds buzz-wordy, but I always looked at it as "I have a problem, programming will let me solve it. Therefore, the 'Solution' is my solution to the problem". Perhaps I'm just nuts though.

VS debugger rocks GDB imho. It's pretty neat being able to change something minor while debugging and then keep going without having to exit, rebuild and redebug.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement