• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
plywood

Microsoft & Gamedev's 1st Truly *Impossible* Question

This topic is 3533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[.NET] Microsoft seems to be undecided about how to handle web services: the right way or the wrong way. My web app defines several exceptions (all subclasses of Exception) that I would like to throw across my service. Thus, if a consumer hands me a malformed request, or bad data, etc. I want to throw the exception server-side and send it back to them so they can catch it and handle it accordingly. Microsoft allows user-defined types to be passes over a web service; they just have to be serializable. And of course, Microsoft allows their own built-in .NET types to be serialized and passed as well. But to my suprise, it refuses to let me serialize a sub-classed Exception (or any other sub-classed built-in type) and pass it. Instead, I have to wrap my exception inside a SOAP fault, pass the fault, and then force the client to unwrap the fault and handle the exception that way on their end. This method works; but is sloppy. I must be missing something....

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
... and the question is?

I believe he is seeking an alternative to his current method, that is, a way to serialize his own subclasses, or a cleaner substitute than what he currently has.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!