bryce as level editor?

Started by
8 comments, last by -marty- 22 years, 9 months ago
I want to make a level for a game such as a racing game or a flight simulator (with landscapes like insane or delta force). Is it possible to make the level in Bryce 4 without getting very low frame rates or must i make the level in 3d studio max or do i have to make my own level editor?. thanks for reading, hope you have an answer. I Edited by - -marty- on June 23, 2001 3:30:39 PM
Advertisement
If you are to the point of designing your own levels or even coding your own level editor for your game then you should be able to make this decision on your own.

This isn''t a flame. Just think about it.
YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

But is it possible to use bryce as a level (terrain) editor or is bryce not meant for creating levels for games?
hmm i dunno really never heard of a leveldesigner using bryce
i know 3dmax is good as is maya
I''ve heard of people using 3D Studio Max (with their custom plugin of course) to make their levels. However, I''d assume that making a custom editor is the way to go in the majority of cases.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
My experience with Bryce (limited as it is) is that you can use it for enviromental maps, i.e. "sky art". As for level design using that tool, you may have to look around for other alternatives. Perhaps we have some resident experts in the house that would like to enlighten us all. Any takers?

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

I have alot of experience with bryce 3d from back in the day. in Bryce 4 didnt they add more export support, such as DXF, ect.? If so you could easily design your level in bryce and just load in the dxf(most commonly known 3d file format ) and spit it on the screen.
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
if you''ve got Bryce4, yes, you can export terrains to DXF and some other formats, and I believe you can also get pretty good control over how dense the mesh is...
so, if all you''re needing to do, basically, is design a heightmapped terrain, Bryce will work for you...
you can also export heightfield bitmaps in versions as old as 2, I think... which may be just as good

on the downside, I don''t know anything about exporting textures with Bryce... it''s theoretically doable, but I don''t know what format the textures wind up in, or how it makes them, or how you might be able to use them...

if you have bryce4, you should read the manual and play around with the export options; this should help you make up your mind

...and yes, Bryce also rocks for making cubic environment (sky) maps

--Tr][aD--
--Tr][aD--
(sorry, had to make another comment )

incidently, I have absolutely no clue why DXF is the most widely-supported format...

in my experience, it''s the most inefficient format I''ve ever seen... saving a mesh in ALMOST ANY FORMAT OTHER than DXF results in anywhere from 50 to 75% decrease in file size

--Tr][aD--
--Tr][aD--
allright so it is possible to make levels with bryce
Is it as good as 3d studio max or maya.

btw thanks for all the replies, I couldn''t find the answer on the internet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement