Sign in to follow this  
JustChris

Embedding file assets into the program

How would you compile a program, especially a game that uses a lot of graphical/sound assets, in a way that all the non-code data is in the executable file or app? I especially want to do this for a game I'm making on the Mac platform, and some appls as simple as drag-and-drop to install. Also becuase I have no plans to make add-on skins for my game. Do I use compression libraries? Maybe also Imagemagick for the graphics?

in the case of the mac you get some of this for free, as the way the mac bundles its applications it lumps them into a folder that can make it look all nice and neat. I would suggest something like a "ZIP" file for the game assets... When you EXE loads it would just uncompress this zip file and load the assets, A lot of games use this system. Some of the reason why this system is nice are is that it keeps things organized, it can also make patching much easier, as well as save space and if done right prevent people from messing with your assets.

Some examples are .BIG files for some of EAs games or MPQ files for blizzard games, these are just compressed assets.