Sign in to follow this  
illusionlover

The tolerance of input delay for FPS game

Quote:
Original post by illusionlover
What's the acceptable input delay time for a FPS game?

I'd say it's pretty darn small.

Basically, you want your game to react as fast as possible. Especially if you're working on a multiplayer shooter, where reaction speed is often vital.

A detail that is overlooked in many articles:

A quick audio response can do wonders to compensate for a visual delay. Usually the audio queue is quicker than waiting for two video frames before your change appears. Even a subtle sound may give enough feedback to the player that their action is happening.

I agree with Frob, and I'd like to expand on that a bit.

In an FPS, you want firing a weapon to be nearly telepathic... make some sound, animation, or rumbling happen the instant the player hits a button, if not sooner. If your animation or physics system is a bit slower to react, it won't be noticeable.

Other events may not need such immediate response... I've done some interesting tests in our FPS where shooting is responsive (1 or 2 frame delay) and movement was extremely delayed (almost half a second between joystick moving left and the player/camera beginning a rotation. Among the people i tested this control scheme on, all of them said it felt more responsive than one in which turning was immediate and shooting had a slightly longer lag.

In summary, there's more than one dimension to the "acceptable input delay" equation... And smoke and mirrors can make a huge difference in the player's impression of responsiveness.