• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
illusionlover

The tolerance of input delay for FPS game

This topic is 3435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Maybe in this link there are a right answer but mybe can help you..

http://cowboyprogramming.com/2008/05/27/programming-responsiveness/

Quote:
Original post by illusionlover
What's the acceptable input delay time for a FPS game?

I'd say it's pretty darn small.

Basically, you want your game to react as fast as possible. Especially if you're working on a multiplayer shooter, where reaction speed is often vital.

A detail that is overlooked in many articles:

A quick audio response can do wonders to compensate for a visual delay. Usually the audio queue is quicker than waiting for two video frames before your change appears. Even a subtle sound may give enough feedback to the player that their action is happening.

I agree with Frob, and I'd like to expand on that a bit.

In an FPS, you want firing a weapon to be nearly telepathic... make some sound, animation, or rumbling happen the instant the player hits a button, if not sooner. If your animation or physics system is a bit slower to react, it won't be noticeable.

Other events may not need such immediate response... I've done some interesting tests in our FPS where shooting is responsive (1 or 2 frame delay) and movement was extremely delayed (almost half a second between joystick moving left and the player/camera beginning a rotation. Among the people i tested this control scheme on, all of them said it felt more responsive than one in which turning was immediate and shooting had a slightly longer lag.

In summary, there's more than one dimension to the "acceptable input delay" equation... And smoke and mirrors can make a huge difference in the player's impression of responsiveness.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!