Sign in to follow this  
illusionlover

The tolerance of input delay for FPS game

Ideally at most a 1 frame delay, at 60fps ( which is ~16 ms ), any more than that and you'll get the dreaded FPS nasua (varies with people, some can play FPS down to 30fps but as the lower the framerate goes or the number of frames inputs are delayed, the nasua affect will get everyone i've seen).

-ddn

All input or specific action input? I've seen plenty of games use delay for a reason, such as when a button can do multiple things, or when the action is consequentially costly, like a self destruct or mega jump.

If you mean all input, delay of any kind is bad, but I could probably tolerate up to 100 milliseconds. If targets move and change direction quickly, any delay would be very annoying in a shooter.

People who play games that require quick button presses can tell the difference in the response time very acutely and it becomes fairly irritating when it is noticeable, especially when different "versions" have different response times.

I can tell the difference even when there is a very minimal difference like there is between the arcade version and the PS2 version of SC2 or 3.

I think I mean all input,like fire and move
Quote:
Original post by Kest
All input or specific action input? I've seen plenty of games use delay for a reason, such as when a button can do multiple things, or when the action is consequentially costly, like a self destruct or mega jump.

If you mean all input, delay of any kind is bad, but I could probably tolerate up to 100 milliseconds. If targets move and change direction quickly, any delay would be very annoying in a shooter.

How about the situation when player just walking and firing but no enemy at all?
Could the delay in that situation be a ittle bit longer?
Quote:
Original post by ddn3
Ideally at most a 1 frame delay, at 60fps ( which is ~16 ms ), any more than that and you'll get the dreaded FPS nasua (varies with people, some can play FPS down to 30fps but as the lower the framerate goes or the number of frames inputs are delayed, the nasua affect will get everyone i've seen).

-ddn

Well the player will rarely be just walking, they will be stoping, turning looking around, sprinting, sneaking, etc.. Esp turning, if there is any delay on that at all, it causes me nasua. FPS have the lowest tolerance of input latency of any game I would say, from gameplay and nasua standpoint.

Good Luck!

-ddn

Quote:
Original post by illusionlover
What's the acceptable input delay time for FPS game?

As little as possible. ;)

Have you ever played a PC FPS that had "mouse lag"? Where you move the mouse and it feels like your view responds just a moment later?

That's pretty much the kiss of death for an FPS.

An old game called Wipeout had some tight joystick controls. They re-released it for Windows, but those controls were sloppy, unattached, degraded.

It no longer felt like I was maneuvering my ship; instead, it felt like I was submitting directions for conversion by the autopilot. Sorta like driving a car with manual steering, and then driving a car with automatic steering and six inches of play.