Problem with Vertex Texture Fetch - HLSL

Started by
2 comments, last by gogogigo 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, i was trying to use vertex texture lookups for my program. But of course this doesn't work. There is no error but the function "float4 height = tex2Dlod(dispSamp,float4(UV.xy ,0,0));" always (but only in vertex shader, in pixel shader it works perfectly) returns the value float4(0,0,0,1). I'm rendering some stuff into the vertextexture (Usage.RenderTarget, Format.A32B32G32R32F, Pool.Default) and then pass it to the vertex shader. This question here is very similar but also these answers couldn't help me. So maybe You can help me. PS: The same Shader works perfect in nVidia's FX Composer with a texture from file. Are there maybe some problems with my device-settings? PSS: I use the Default Pool. But here it is said, that the texture must be created in the scratch pool. But it isn't possible for me to create it in scratch pool. [Edited by - gogogigo on January 20, 2009 12:21:07 PM]
Advertisement
How are you binding the texture to your device? Are you directly calling SetTexture on the device, or are you setting it on the Effect?

Also, you will probably want to run your app with the debug runtimes active, to see if you can get any information from that.
Thanx for response!
I'm using (VisualBasic).NET.

To create the texture:
        dispmap = New Texture(device, (-field.rect.X + field.rect.Width + 1) * 50, (-field.rect.Y + field.rect.Height + 1) * 50, _                               0, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Usage.RenderTarget, Format.A32B32G32R32F, _                               Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Pool.Default)// (-field.rect.X + field.rect.Width + 1)*50  is  550

HLSL Code for texture:

texture dispTex;sampler dispSamp = sampler_state{	Texture = <dispTex>;	MinFilter = Point;	MagFilter = Point;	MipFilter = Point;};//... and to sample:	float4 height = tex2Dlod(dispSamp,float4(UV.xy ,0,0));

To set the texture in program:

dispTexHandle = effect.GetParameter(dispTexHandle, "dispTex")effect.SetValue(dispTexHandle , dispmap)

I don't know yet how to debug the shader in Visual Basic...
I wonder about, that the Shader works in FXComposer and mainly about that "tex2Dlod(dispS..." works in pixelshader in my app.
I have the feeling that there's a problem with my device or sth like that.?

To Create my Device i use this code:

Dim present As PresentParameters = New PresentParameters        present.BackBufferCount = 1        present.BackBufferFormat = Format.A8R8G8B8        present.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard        present.AutoDepthStencilFormat = DepthFormat.D24X8        present.EnableAutoDepthStencil = True        present.Windowed = False        present.BackBufferWidth = 1280        present.BackBufferHeight = 1024        device = New Direct3D.Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, targetform, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, present)               device.RenderState.ZBufferEnable = True        device.RenderState.ZBufferWriteEnable = True        device.RenderState.SourceBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha        device.RenderState.DestinationBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha        device.SamplerState(0).MaxAnisotropy = 8        device.SamplerState(0).MinFilter = TextureFilter.Anisotropic        device.SamplerState(0).MagFilter = TextureFilter.Anisotropic

By the way: is it really necessary to use the scratch pool?

[Edited by - gogogigo on January 20, 2009 2:18:44 PM]
Nobody? :(

Is there maybe a good example for vertex textures? (c++ or c#)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement