Getting Started In Audio For Games - Help

Started by
3 comments, last by Nick-N 15 years, 3 months ago
HI - Basically I'm looking to get a start into the games development industry as a sound/audio engineer. I'm an experienced sound designer, sfx editor, dubbing mixer in the audio post production industry but gaming is my passion and I would love to move into development. But how? Audio jobs that don't involve programming don't come up that often and those that do often ask for at least a years experience and a AAA title, so where are all the entry level positions? I'm happy to start at the bottom if needs be. Any advice anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. I've already contacted all the development companies and independent games audio companies in my area, (and further), in an effort to build a relationship but that means nothing if the jobs aren't there. I'd love to hear from anyone doing this work and hear how they got their start.
Advertisement
I think you might have better luck with this particular question in our Music & Sound forum, so I'm going to move you there.

A couple of the sticky threads in that forum may also be of interest to you:
Starting your career as a composer-sound designer (FAQ and answers)
Game audio articles (particularly some of the ones in the bottom listed set)

Good luck! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson53.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

A lot of companies don't post entry level jobs because they get plenty of applicants without having to post for them. Note that experience in film work in certainly relevant. That being said, you should subscribe to the Gamasutra Career newsletter and use both the IDGA website and GameDevMap.com to broaden your knowledge of what all studios are out there. Spending a few hours browsing all of the studios listed on those last two websites will give you a broader perspective of what all is available out there.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thanks for the links and tips I'll keep looking, keep working and keep hoping.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement