Sign in to follow this  
DutchValiance

Introduction to multiplayer programming

"Multiplayer programming" and "Java" are orthogonal concepts. Multiplayer programming is about how you structure your program and message flow. Java is about how you implement your program. You can implement multiplayer structures in almost any language.

Most of the tutorials and libraries in the Forum FAQ are for C++, but there are a few links to other languages, too. However, everything in those tutorials is likely to also work for you in Java (although you have to translate from Berkeley sockets or .NET overlapped I/O to java.nio). If you can't deal with translating low-level details from other languages to Java yet, then you likely need to learn more Java first, before you start on the "multiplayer" aspect. I suggest becoming friends with the java.nio and java.net packages first.

seeing as i have now read the tutorials, and attempted some of the code (using an echo server). Will someones firewall stop them from connecting to my computer once i have a client/server program created? or is it best to do these things LAN?