Introduction to multiplayer programming

Started by
5 comments, last by hplus0603 15 years, 3 months ago
Does any1 have a good torturial or website that has introductions on multiplayer programming for java? Im currently trying to increase what i kno, and have jus finished a course but want to continue working on java
Advertisement
"Multiplayer programming" and "Java" are orthogonal concepts. Multiplayer programming is about how you structure your program and message flow. Java is about how you implement your program. You can implement multiplayer structures in almost any language.

Most of the tutorials and libraries in the Forum FAQ are for C++, but there are a few links to other languages, too. However, everything in those tutorials is likely to also work for you in Java (although you have to translate from Berkeley sockets or .NET overlapped I/O to java.nio). If you can't deal with translating low-level details from other languages to Java yet, then you likely need to learn more Java first, before you start on the "multiplayer" aspect. I suggest becoming friends with the java.nio and java.net packages first.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
well what i mostly mean is like an tutorial to a simple chat application using LAN client /server bases. i just don't really know where to start and i was wondering if any1 knew anything thats a good read for it.
Google is your friend ;)
Took about 5 seconds to find that link:
Socket tutorial with Java
Try on CodeProject.com, there are a lot of tutorials. The first thing you need is learn something about Client/Server Architecture.

Sorry for my bad english! :)

seeing as i have now read the tutorials, and attempted some of the code (using an echo server). Will someones firewall stop them from connecting to my computer once i have a client/server program created? or is it best to do these things LAN?
Your question is answered in the Forum FAQ. Look for "port forwarding" and "nat introducer."
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement