Single player RPG plot kernel, please help.

Started by
13 comments, last by JasRonq 15 years, 2 months ago
Those are all pretty good ideas. The sealing in of the player is a huge factor of my attraction to the idea. It allows the PC to be reasonably ordinary, but forces extraordinary action without making him into a mythic hero or some foretold savior.

Anyway, if the portal was accidental somehow, and the conflict arises out of mutual surprise and distrust, how does the conflict get resolved? Antagonists are easy, you catch 'em, jail 'em or kill 'em and the conflict is over. More nebulous conflicts are harder to resolve in a climatic and exciting way. Of course, accidents don't need motives and antagonists do, so I'm stuck here either way.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by JasRonq
In my original idea(s) the player is fixing this problem because he is dang near the only one there. Everyone else is either dead or ran. A few are held up defending their little rooms hoping for help. The player is in this situation either because as a student with a parent as a teacher, he went looking for the parent instead of sensibly running with the rest, or as a wanderer he simply didn't know the grounds well enough to find his way out. The barrier sealed him in before he got out, and sealed out all help that could come from the survivors outside.

So it's Doom 3 in Hogwarts + Diablo?
With entirely different gameplay, culture, and style.
I don't know, to me, this story sounds like it's had very little, to no thought put into developing anything seriously unique.
It seems to me this is just some side note to appease yourself with the idea instead of actually putting any effort into making something people will enjoy.
To be honest with you, I'd much rather a new age Hexen with a poorly attached Satan symbolism like DooM 3 compared to some convoluted mess due to the fact you tried at making a story that has absolutely no depth.

We can't help you with anything if you don't want help in the first place.
It has had very little thought put into developing it. That would be why I called it a plot kernel. If it were developed I'd at least label it as a plot idea or some such thing.

My last comment was not a public self appeasement meant to dismiss you, it was sarcastically saying that aside from a few minor, tangential points, my idea has nothing to do with Doom 3, demons, Satan, Harry Potter, or Diablo. You assume that the gameplay is based on demon slaughter, that the word 'demonic' in my original post means full satanic themes, and that the mention of the setting possibly being a school means that this would be a Harry Potter rip off. Frankly, most of the reception of this thread so far by you has been outright insulting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement