• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Answer3

Hello I have a problem with text in SDL

This topic is 3616 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I have some problem with text in SDL. So that the situation: If I want start new line, I do the next thing printf("I going\n down\n"), thats working with C. But thats not working with SDL, I mean what should I do if I want to start new line? There is a special fuction to do it? I mean that I want to see "I am starting new line" on the screen, but I dont want to declare two SDL_Surface parameters. Hope for respond, thank you!

Advertisement
Assuming you are using SDL_ttf, there is no way to do it without creating more than one SDL_Surface.

To achieve this yourself, you could write a function that takes a string as a parameter, scan the string for new lines, creates a destination surface that is large enough, then blits each line of text onto that.

If you're not glued to SDL_ttf, you can try NFont:
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jmb97/NFont.html

NFont has '\n' support.
In the near future, I'll be releasing an update that lets you load SDL_ttf's fonts into NFont, so you get the benefits of a bitmap font lib with the font selection of SDL_ttf.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!