Picking a 3D Game Engine

Started by
8 comments, last by Thaumaturge 15 years, 2 months ago
Hi all. I wanted to get some ideas and advice. I'm taking a class in Real-Tme Gaming and Simulation. For the projects in the class, we're supposed to use an existing engine to start with. I wanted to get some ideas for what might be a good starting point. Some of the things we'll have for the game are basic water simulation, plants, animals, humans, potentially facial animation, terrain, smoke, fish. I have experience with OpenGL and some experience with DirectX, but those are too low level for this project. I was thinking of using Ogre or maybe Irrlicht, but I would definitely appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Quote:water simulation, plants, animals, humans, potentially facial animation, terrain, smoke, fish

Wow, thats quite a feature set! Pick any one of these features and try to think how many games you know that simulate that subject well, you will probably find there aren't that many. It will probably be better in the long run for you to focus your feature set a bit more, you could spend an entire semester just working on any one of those features and still not be satisfied. The only thing I can think of that covers all of these with finesse is Crytek, but I guess from your question you're after something with source code freely available, rather than something that's only moddable? The ones you mention both have pretty big feature sets and are the best I can think of that are free.
Quote:Original post by Hinch
Quote:water simulation, plants, animals, humans, potentially facial animation, terrain, smoke, fish
Wow, thats quite a feature set!
Is this a joint project, or do you each work on it alone? Those requirements are probably out of reach for a single programmer. And do you have to write each of those features from scratch? OGRE has plugins providing robust paged terrain with limited vegetation support, and I recall seeing an advanced particle framework as well, so if you are allowed to use those, it cuts your list down a lot.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

p.s. It's pretty obvious from your feature request set that you're going for the old "people-and-animals-running-across-terrain-and-swimming-in-water-while-on-fire-and-talking-to-each-other" genre. Honestly, why can't game developers be more original!
Quote:Original post by Hinch
p.s. It's pretty obvious from your feature request set that you're going for the old "people-and-animals-running-across-terrain-and-swimming-in-water-while-on-fire-and-talking-to-each-other" genre. Honestly, why can't game developers be more original!

I vote that for addition to the random front page quotes.

To the OP: All I can think of is Crytek for all thos efeatures, but as already mentioned it's only moddable. Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you whatever engine you choose...

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

To answer some of the questions, it wasn't clear that we necessarily need all of these features, but these were some of the suggested features. It will definitely be a lot of work. We can work in teams, but obviously if we work in a team, then more will be expected than if we work alone. It doesn't have to be open source, it can be a mod. For example, the professor suggested the Half-Life engine as one option. He also suggested Open Scene Graph as being another potential option.

Also, I don't think he's expecting professional level quality on these features as we put them in, since this is the introduction for some of these topics. So think of it more as each of those features done to a basic level to illustrate the principles.
"Suggested features" usually means "dick two or three", not "do them all"...
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Yes, I usually dick my options carefully.

:D
LOL. where is a debugger when you need one...
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
I'm not sure that it's quite what you're looking for, but have you looked at the Panda3D engine?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement