Beta test my game (Mage Tower).

Started by
22 comments, last by wildex999 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Lode
1. Is indeed a bug. As a matter of fact, I had only noticed this bug while carrying the sword, I didn't know it could also happen at a moment where you should in fact die.

As a matter of fact, I think I only encountered the bug when I had a sword on the spider level. It's possible that the problem occurs during normal movement as well, but I don't recall observing it at any other time.
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
Advertisement
The music sounds compressed.

Some point in level 4, it seems you intentionally set a trap to kill the player with monsters. It's annoying that you wait half the level to do this.

I like that some things, you teach the player without a text box. However, there are some things you can let the player figure out, but don't. (Like how different enemies behave differently. This is already expected.)

Level 7 was very short compared to any earlier level. 8 too.

Many of the level 9 lessons have already been learned, but weren't given much attention. Still, I haven't forgotten. You could just let the player learn through experimentation since the solutions are obvious even without knowing why they work.

That's about where I stopped. You did a good job. Lessons are learned at a good pace, there's a good amount of complexity.

Any ideas how I can make this game feel less laggy, and still have the ticks?

In old Tetris games, blocks went slowly down in increments, kind of like your "ticks" thing. So, how do I rotate and move the block, keep the increment, and not feel like it's lagging? The tick can be truncated on different events! Either timed, or on valid input.

That's how they seemed to do it there. You might be able to see that technique if you can find a Tetris that does this. It really is unacceptable this kind of lag.
very interesting game, played through level 10. is it safe to assume you are targetting the iphone here? considering the screen size.

as someone said before, simply tween your animations (at least for the player). for instance, lets assume your game is running at 24fps, with 1 tick happening every 12 frames. the player presses left at tick 6, that gives you 6 frames to interpolate the position of the player to the next frame. that should at least lower the effect of the lag.
always liked this type of games.

Now the (constructive) suggestion: from programmer to programmer, work on better graphics, animations, that would make a even better game.
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
very interesting game, played through level 10. is it safe to assume you are targetting the iphone here? considering the screen size.

I didn't target it actually, it must be a coincidence :) Can the iPhone run any .swf file?

Anything on which it works is great. I moved from C++ to Flash (for my spare-time small game projects I mean) because for a player it's much easier to just click a link in the browser and start playing, than to have to install something first, that is tied to one platform too.
Yea, AS3 has become a very very good language/platform for inde development. you should consider taking a few looks at using adobe air aswell. this works as a really nice cross platform projector, and can even allow you to build games/apps that have a reasonable amount of communication with the host file-system. basically making it a java replacement that seems a bit more geared towards games and rich apps.
Quote:Original post by Splinter of Chaos

It's encoded at 32 or 40kb/s. And yet still, in the flash, something like 100k is the game, and all the rest of the 2MB is taken up by the music! Without the 32 kb/s compression, it'd be 8 MB! I know it sounds choppy, but I can't justify such a large filesize just for the music, I mean, it's a game, not an MP3 library. Maybe if I found a way to play MOD music in Flash as well as find good tracks that I can use in the game for free, there could be much more, and high quality tracks in the game!
Doesn't the latest Flash support AAC audio? That compression sounds quite good at 32 kb/s.

Programming=Creating,Your fantasy is the only limit!

Quote:Original post by Splinter of Chaos

It's encoded at 32 or 40kb/s. And yet still, in the flash, something like 100k is the game, and all the rest of the 2MB is taken up by the music! Without the 32 kb/s compression, it'd be 8 MB!

Yeah, I made some music in FL Studio and used it in a game and people on the forums (a WIP forum; not here) complained about the file size being to large. I converted the music from mp3 to ogg which did great things to the size (from 14MB to 3), but altered the quality of the music. Not horribly, though. It might be a good alternative. Does Flash play ogg format? (You'll need a converter. PM me if you can't find one.)
Plays really good. I would really like to join you if you are going to make something like this again. I'm looking for a team to do such a project with, to gain experience etc.

Btw: Are you from the Dutch part of Belgium or the French part? I am Dutch myself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement