Beta test my game (Mage Tower).

Started by
22 comments, last by wildex999 15 years, 2 months ago
The game is very nice, I liked it. But you seriously have to do something about the input lag, as already discussed. That is the thing that now really breaks this otherwise nice game.
Advertisement
Hi,

I'm working on a new version, and the first thing I'm trying to fix, is the input lag, because that was the biggest show stopper :)

Here's the attempt to fix the input lag:

http://members.gamedev.net/lode/games/magetower/tower2.swf

If you compare this, with the link to the first version in the original post, in which one do you like the input the best?

Note: tower.swf in the original post is "finished", but tower2.swf in this post may be broken in some areas, it's just to test the user input. Also, there is no smooth scrolling yet, if I include that later, it might feel even better, but now there is also already a difference using other techniques.

Personally, I think in the second version, it responds quicker to the keyboard (no laggy feeling), but sometimes actually the old version can have its advantages, because in the old version you moved exactly at the same time as the monsters (and in the new version not, the player's timer is independent), and also, in the old version you could buffer keys with short taps and in the new version not (but I might be able to add that feature in the new version again, thought it might feel as "laggy" again if you press right multiple times in a fast succession and the character executes it slower than you pressed).

Secondly, do you think it's noticable that in the second version the graphics are rendered faster? Because the first version uses "sprite pooling" as drawing technique, while the second version uses BitmapData and copyPixels, which would be faster, but I think that depends on the computer (it uses less than 10% CPU in both versions on my PC).

Any input on which version has the "best" user input response, and how it can be even better, is very welcome!

I like the input method in the new version much better. It changes the game somewhat towards the action side of the spectrum but I think that's ok. The puzzles are still what's important.
MUCH better input in the new version :D It actually made me sit and play for quite a while ^^

Programming=Creating,Your fantasy is the only limit!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement