• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xtr33me

Iphone game dev modularzation?

This topic is 3495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! I am coming from a C++ windows dev background and wanted to test out the iphone dev wave using OpenGL ES. I have a game idea, and have started writing out the design on paper. The concern of mine is my little experience working with restricted memory and I was wondering if it is standard practice to modularize the game design when developing for the iphone? I am used to coding object factories, collision managers, etc and I was hoping I could get recommendations from those more experienced in this area. I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement
Xcode supports the full C++ standard, so all the STL libraries work on it and from working with the iPhone, it's more than adequate for any type of high-level advance C++ code you write. The slowest part will be the rendering by far, well depending on what kind of game you're making :D

Checkout some free engines, to see what the iPhone can do :

http://www.oolongengine.com/

Also download the various iPhone samples from Apple, they contain alot of useful code to look at, unfortuately its mostly in Objective C.

Good Luck!

-ddn

ddn3 I can't thank you enough for the response! Just what I was hoping to hear! Thanks also for the link...going to go check it out now. You've been a great help.

Apps have 24 mb available on iPhone, but you would need to have a fairly complex 3d game before you hit that limit.
Textures are what chew up most memory, so you should be using compressed textures for everything.

Thanks captainfreedom for the info. That is a great tidbit of knowledge. I usually run all my graphics through Photoshops optimization befor I use them and get surprising results. Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!