A Text Based Game

Started by
3 comments, last by alboy5000 15 years, 3 months ago
hi there i am very very new to computer programming but i was playing a text game called Ikariam and i thought it had a couple things missing. I want to make my own Ikariam but i have absolutely positively no idea where to start. can someone please help me? i need to know if i need some sort of education or class to make an Ikariam or Ogame sized game, what steps i need to take first, and how to use some tools to help me on my way. please put everything in lamens terms for me and thanks again.
Advertisement
Since you didn't mention any programming language, I assume you don't know any yet, so you have two choices.

Either you try to learn a programming language yourself, or you use a programm like GameMaker.

Since you want to do a text based game, you could go with Php or Python, since both are relatively easy to learn and use (I'm not shure about python, but you can run a script to output it's std::out to the console).
-Python
-Php

If you've decided which way to go, then we can help you further.
i have tried making a flash game before with python and i didnt like it too much so how about php. how would i use that to make a game?
I would see php as an introduction into the programming world. Php is mostly used in web environments, but since it comes with a standalone interpreter, it can be used to create a text based game, but nothing more fancy (on its own).

Php is used for alot of browser games and supports a great range of features (mostly related to web development), but can be used in conjunction with that interpreter. So you would start the programm and run the script with a command (propably a commandline argument) and the script would output whatever it desires.

There are countless of great tutorials about php on the web, just google for it and maybe start with a hello-world programm ;)

Php however cannot be used to create a more advanced game (with fancy graphical effects, IMO). But in my oppinion it's a great start to something like c++, because the syntax is very similar, and most functions even have the same name (printf, etc..).
ok thanks i really appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement