• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
eDuDe

Problems with Drawing Lines (D3DPT_LINESTRIP related)

This topic is 3497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to draw some 3D lines using DrawPrimitive and a linestrip, and for some reason I'm getting a bunch of extra lines being drawn in all from 0,0,0. I'm drawing a series of short lines to create a rough curve, and I'm 99.5% certain that how I do that isn't the problem because I get the same problem when I try to draw the bones. Picture since I'm sure this description doesn't make any sense: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/billerwjustin/Graphics/lines.png Here is how I'm attempting to do this (everything thrown together):
#define D3DFVF_MY_VERTEX ( D3DFVF_XYZ | D3DFVF_DIFFUSE )

LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 m_helperLines;

pDevice->SetFVF( D3DFVF_MY_VERTEX );

pDevice->CreateVertexBuffer(sizeof(vector3) * 2, 
			D3DFVF_MY_VERTEX, 
			D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, 
			&m_helperLines, 
			NULL);

void Graphics::DrawLine( vector3 p1, vector3 p2 )
{
	matrix view = camera.LookAtMatrix();
	pDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &view);

vector3* pVerts;
	m_helperLines->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&pVerts, 0);
	*pVerts = p1; pVerts++;
	*pVerts = p2;
	m_helperLines->Unlock();

pDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, m_helperLines, 0, sizeof(vector3) );

pDevice->SetFVF( D3DFVF_MY_VERTEX );

pDevice->DrawPrimitive( D3DPT_LINESTRIP, 0, 2 );
}

I set up the project and world matrices when I initialize DirectX. The thing that is bothering me is that I swore this worked before. Going nuts.

Advertisement
Your problem is here:

vector3* pVerts;
m_helperLines->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&pVerts, 0);
*pVerts = p1; pVerts++;
*pVerts = p2;
m_helperLines->Unlock();

Your vertex buffer doesn't contain an array of vector3's, it contains an array of vertices, which according to your FVF is a struct containing a vector3 and a D3DCOLOR.

EDIT: Actually, I see the VB does contain vector3's, although that's not what D3D is expecting. I'd highly recommend enabling the Debug Runtimes, which would spew a bunch of errors at you for doing this.

Quote:
Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
Your draw primitive call says you're drawing 2 primitives. You're drawing 1 (one line). It will be reading garbage past the end of your vertex buffer to draw the second line.

Thanks sooooo much. I was thinking two vertices there instead one line, but I fixed it and it looks perfect. Thanks a bunch!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!