Differences between PC/Consoles

Started by
5 comments, last by Koder4Fun 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi there, I'd like to know the main differences (juste the 4 or 5 biggest ones) between PC and Consoles game developpement ? Thanks !
Advertisement
1. Resource limits are variable and usually higher on the PC. On consoles you usually have to manage resources much more carefully.
2. You can develop and sell PC games for free. You can use homebrew development kits to work on consoles but you're typically not allowed to release your games.
3. PCs have a fairly standard set of hardware whereas each console may be somewhat different regarding input devices, storage speed, graphics capability, etc.
4. Some modern consoles require extensive multiprocessing techniques to make best use of the hardware. This is also the case for multi-core PCs but generally much less so.
5. PC games usually have to contend with running in many different resolutions, and perhaps windowed mode as well as full screen. Available resolutions for consoles are much more limited.

Generally though you have to bear in mind that each console is somewhat different, whereas each PC is much the same as another, except with higher or lower specifications.
You can solve al problems by getting XNA Framework and Visual C# express (free software twice) and you can develop for PC (DirectX) and Xbox 360 (DirectX too but slight different).

Anyway, using XNA you can develop games in cross-platform for free...
A PC project (Windows Game) can be simply duplicated (almost automatically) in a XBox 360 project.

Quote:

Kylotan
1. Resource limits are variable and usually higher on the PC. On consoles you usually have to manage resources much more carefully.
2. You can develop and sell PC games for free. You can use homebrew development kits to work on consoles but you're typically not allowed to release your games.
3. PCs have a fairly standard set of hardware whereas each console may be somewhat different regarding input devices, storage speed, graphics capability, etc.
4. Some modern consoles require extensive multiprocessing techniques to make best use of the hardware. This is also the case for multi-core PCs but generally much less so.
5. PC games usually have to contend with running in many different resolutions, and perhaps windowed mode as well as full screen. Available resolutions for consoles are much more limited.

Generally though you have to bear in mind that each console is somewhat different, whereas each PC is much the same as another, except with higher or lower specifications.

This can be true for older consoles, but now difference between PC and consoles are really small. This is true for resources, resolution etc...

The good thing, when programming for consoles, is that the hardware for each console remain constant over time so a game developed and tested for a specific console work well for current and for future consoles of same family (newer consoles have compatibility softwares to run old games, ex. XBox360 run XBox games).

Please vote usefull replies.
Marco Sacchi
Coding is a challenge ... but solving problems is the fun part
My Blog - XNA Italian portal
Keep in mind for XNA, you do have to pay microsoft to actually produce your 360 game. I believe theres licensing involved for releasing a pc game created using xna as well.
Quote:Original post by Koder4Fun
This can be true for older consoles, but now difference between PC and consoles are really small. This is true for resources, resolution etc...

I would say almost all of those are still the case. 512mb of RAM on the XBox 360 is quite a bit, but PS3 has 256mb, and Wii only has 88. This is a lot of RAM compared to older consoles, but compared to PC's it isn't very much at all.
Quote:Original post by agm_ultimatex
Keep in mind for XNA, you do have to pay microsoft to actually produce your 360 game. I believe theres licensing involved for releasing a pc game created using xna as well.

If you want to sell your game on the XNA Community Games service, then you need a Premium subscription which is $99/yr. If you just want to play around and develop on the 360, you need either a premium subscription or a trial subscription (which you can get if you're a student, or if pay close enough attention at certain events).

Nothing is required for PC development with XNA. No licensing involved either...you're free to do whatever the heck you want with your app or game.

Quote:Original post by Treb
Quote:Original post by Koder4Fun

I would say almost all of those are still the case. 512mb of RAM on the XBox 360 is quite a bit, but PS3 has 256mb, and Wii only has 88. This is a lot of RAM compared to older consoles, but compared to PC's it isn't very much at all.

PC's needs more RAM for operating system, drivers, softwares and so on

Consoles needs only a small OS and no drivers at all (or drivers included on the OS).
Please vote usefull replies.
Marco Sacchi
Coding is a challenge ... but solving problems is the fun part
My Blog - XNA Italian portal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement