• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ancoldsun

what is kinematic used for ?

This topic is 3492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i've read some book and most of them just mention about kinematic algorithm (IK n FK) , although they gave some examples but i did'nt find these examples useful to me , on contrary they make me confused ... could you give me some examples the usage of kinematic ?

Advertisement
perhaps i am not talking about what you think, but in kinematics is a section in mechanic physics and i guess that in a game you would refer it as "something's physics" like jumping physics or car physics etc...

Kinematics is used to know how to move body joints in a way that accomplishes a goal: find where the "hand" is based on the pose of several joints (FK). find how the joints have to be so that a "hand" is in x,y,z position (IK).

Inverse kinematics say "I want you to move here, figure out how to do it." For example, a walking gait that includes a physics component will say "I want you to put the foot about here. Make adjustments to compensate for my current orientation and for the terrain."

Forward kinematics say "Here are the forces, make it move."

Kinematics for racing games:
FK allows you to compute position, orientation, velocity and acceleration of the cars knowing speed, acceleration and steering of their weels.
IK can be used to determine the required steering and acceleration of the weels necessary to reach some goal position for the AI-controlled cars.

Withouth accurate kinematics implementation, the movement of the cars will surely look very unnatural.

Anyone of a programming or physics book that explains kinematics for the layman? It would be great to have a text that makes the theory understandable along with a programmable example of forward or inverse kinematics.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!