Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Having issues with frustrum culling

This topic is 6020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all Well I now have my complex level data partitioned into an octree and everything is working fine with the operation of the octree as a data structure and it works when using it to do collision detection but my old method I was able to work out enough that it is actually faster than the octree for this. But now I am stuck on trying to figure out how to determine if a node (an axis-aligned cube) is completely outside of the viewing frustrum or not. Yes I have searched google and have not come up with anything that is useful to me. I get lots of links to pages telling what view frustrum culling is, and pre-built engines that use it but nothing about the actual math or algorithm involved. I''m sure that there is something out there to be found and I will find it eventually but I am hoping somebody can help point me in the right direction here Thanks alot, Krippy

Check this link:

http://www.cubic.org/~submissive/sourcerer/3dclip.htm

I guess that will help you out!

Also another tip:
Cull in ObjectSapce! You don''t want to transform the whole 8-tree thingie and compare it to the frustem.
Do a inverse-transform on your frustum and cull the octree using that frustum.

There''s a tutorial on 3D Culling in Objspace also on the link:
http://www.cubic.org/~submissive/sourcerer/

Gr,
BoRReL

Hey thanks alot man!

That is exactly what I needed. Now I am culling my octree at blazing speeds lol

Actually I am now averaging 70fps (my refresh rate) at 1600x1200x16 compared to 35 before implementing the octree. And I know I can still optimize things a considerable amount more now because my implementation is brute force at the moment. And my math functions are all using the standard C library math functions operating on doubles.

Thanks again

Seeya
Krippy