• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
asdqwe

Visual Studio Express-all someone needs?

This topic is 3610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In which 'someone' is 'a beginner'. I've heard many times that the features Express lacks (as opposed to Pro/Team System) aren't needed by a beginner anyway. But if you had to choose, what "missing" advanced feature would a beginner like to have (ie of real use to him), that's not in Express?

Advertisement
I have the pro from school, the only main thing i noticed is that its one program that one can use to create a C#, C++, asp.net, and vb project. Rather than different ones. Found this page as well that may shed some light: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/products/professional/default.mspx

Back when I was working with C++ and D3D9 a lot I would have missed having access to ATL (for CComPtr) and the resource editor.

Now that I'm working mostly with C#...I dunno what I'd miss honestly.

I am not a beginner and it works very well. I can't find a nice list of the differences between VS 2008 professional and express, but if they are similar to 2005 then the things I would really miss aren't things beginners would probably be using, such as remote debugging and a profiler.

I use express edition and I am happy.

A profiler might be nice, and arguably it'd be good for beginners to get used to source control being in the IDE.

Last I checked, you couldn't use Add-ins with the express editions. The only one I use is TestDriven.Net, and I'd probably miss that one (I use the professional edition).

I'd miss GhostDoc (no add-ins) and Unmanaged Debugging for managed projects. Also, solution folders and having multiple languages in one solution is necessary for me as well.

Quote:
Original post by asdqwe
In which 'someone' is 'a beginner'.

I've heard many times that the features Express lacks (as opposed to Pro/Team System) aren't needed by a beginner anyway.
But if you had to choose, what "missing" advanced feature would a beginner like to have (ie of real use to him), that's not in Express?
I've been programming for over ten years now, and I don't see anything in Express that is missing. I can't even imagine what could be there that already isn't. Not to say that there isn't anything missing, as there is. But it's not anything I would use.

It's the best IDE I have used so far, hands down. The only problem I ever had with express was when the registration servers went down for a few days and I couldn't use it. That's 100 percent my fault though, because I had 30 days to register it, and I kept putting it off, then didn't open it for a few weeks.

Hey guys,

I'm working on VS2k8Express on making a graphic engine (DX10) and till now I succeded in implementing everything with absolutly no problem, the only thing I miss in the Express Edition is the support of MFC for my Editor but WxWidget came to save me ;)

So, as one day someone says "With no master, the power is nothing"

Peace

PS : Sorry for my poor english :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!