Visual Studio Express-all someone needs?

Started by
7 comments, last by c00ler 15 years, 2 months ago
In which 'someone' is 'a beginner'. I've heard many times that the features Express lacks (as opposed to Pro/Team System) aren't needed by a beginner anyway. But if you had to choose, what "missing" advanced feature would a beginner like to have (ie of real use to him), that's not in Express?
Advertisement
I have the pro from school, the only main thing i noticed is that its one program that one can use to create a C#, C++, asp.net, and vb project. Rather than different ones. Found this page as well that may shed some light: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/products/professional/default.mspx
Back when I was working with C++ and D3D9 a lot I would have missed having access to ATL (for CComPtr) and the resource editor.

Now that I'm working mostly with C#...I dunno what I'd miss honestly.
I am not a beginner and it works very well. I can't find a nice list of the differences between VS 2008 professional and express, but if they are similar to 2005 then the things I would really miss aren't things beginners would probably be using, such as remote debugging and a profiler.

I use express edition and I am happy.
A profiler might be nice, and arguably it'd be good for beginners to get used to source control being in the IDE.
Last I checked, you couldn't use Add-ins with the express editions. The only one I use is TestDriven.Net, and I'd probably miss that one (I use the professional edition).
I'd miss GhostDoc (no add-ins) and Unmanaged Debugging for managed projects. Also, solution folders and having multiple languages in one solution is necessary for me as well.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:Original post by asdqwe
In which 'someone' is 'a beginner'.

I've heard many times that the features Express lacks (as opposed to Pro/Team System) aren't needed by a beginner anyway.
But if you had to choose, what "missing" advanced feature would a beginner like to have (ie of real use to him), that's not in Express?
I've been programming for over ten years now, and I don't see anything in Express that is missing. I can't even imagine what could be there that already isn't. Not to say that there isn't anything missing, as there is. But it's not anything I would use.

It's the best IDE I have used so far, hands down. The only problem I ever had with express was when the registration servers went down for a few days and I couldn't use it. That's 100 percent my fault though, because I had 30 days to register it, and I kept putting it off, then didn't open it for a few weeks.

Hey guys,

I'm working on VS2k8Express on making a graphic engine (DX10) and till now I succeded in implementing everything with absolutly no problem, the only thing I miss in the Express Edition is the support of MFC for my Editor but WxWidget came to save me ;)

So, as one day someone says "With no master, the power is nothing"

Peace

PS : Sorry for my poor english :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement