Blitz Basic programming?

Started by
3 comments, last by Todo 15 years, 2 months ago
Hey everyone, I am getting back into the swing of programming after a 3 year hiatus, and I was wondering if Blitz Basic would be a good programming language to use to create 2D fighting games and side scrolling RPG's (Similar style to Castlevania: SOTN heh heh) I've heard it is perfect for that kind of thing. Have any of you use it before? Did you have any quarrels with it? Also, does it have network capabilities? I want to find these things out before I purchase a copy. Also, I used to know a site with tons of OpenGL tutorials, but seem to have forgotten it. Im going to google it now, but do any of you know any good sites for openGL and SDL tutorials? Or is there something new that I should be aware of and skip those two all together? Thanks! _Q
Advertisement
If you're sticking to Windows and you're happy with procedural code then Blitz3D with SpriteCandy add-on is pretty good. The product itself is getting a bit long in the tooth BUT can still do impressive things quickly. It can certainly handle fighting games and scrollers.
BlitzMax takes a 2D engine DX7 or OGL 1.2 (or is it 1.1) x-platform (Win, Mac and Linux) with a simple OO approach which works pretty well. It has a few odd omissions (no video support, no streaming audio, no Render-to-Texture etc) which look as if they'll never be filled BUT you get the source code and there are some 3rd party modules which help.
Working with the Bmax language is, for me, a pleasure and I struggle now going back to BlitzBasic.
I've been a long term blitz user, both of Blitz3d and Blitzmax.

Released a commercial game with Blitz3d and am in the process of writing my Blitzmax game, which has been in dev for 1 1/2 years now.

I'm a big fan of both languages and highly recommend them.

Both make game creation really quick and easy.

I recommend you download the demos of both languages and take them for a test spin.

www.blitzbasic.com/

KJM
I used it for rapid prototyping of mini-games for a commercial product and found it very good for that purpose.

I did miss a number of things from C++ that it doesn't support so wouldn't use it a lot for anything else though. (Personal preference)

Quote:Original post by quickbot6
Also, I used to know a site with tons of OpenGL tutorials, but seem to have forgotten it.

I believe that well-known site would be NeHe Productions (http://nehe.gamedev.net/)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement