• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sofakng

Advantages and disadvantages to developing games in Flash?

This topic is 3560 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking about developing a multiplayer game and I'm now thinking about using Flash instead of C# (SFML / SDL). What are some of the pros and cons to doing this? I believe that the new version of Flash is hardware accelerated so it should be able to have good speed and for 2D games it seems really nice because it doesn't require to user to install the game or anything at all. Anybody have any opinions on this?

Advertisement
Why is coding a con? Can't you use Adobe Flex to make it more like a "real" programming environment and easier to make games?

You dont even need to use flex. You can code in straight AS3. Go pick up a copy of flashDevelop.

I have made some amazing demos/games in AS3. its actually a very nice language (not as speedy/powerful with AS2). And to top it off, adobe AIR just came out for linux aswell, so you have the portability promised with java, an impressive language that practically is BUILT for games

Thanks for the replies!

Do you guys have any good links for learning Flash game development? I'm finding my Google skills to be weak and having trouble finding GOOD sites.

Also, what is the difference (for game development) between Flash, Flex, FlashDevelop and others?

The greatest advantage of flash is exposure. I'm much more likely to try out an online, in-browser flash game than an .exe. In addition to this, you can get a cut of the ad revenue from the hoster of your page.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!