• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
reenigne

Terrain Generation modification on old method

This topic is 3491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I have been messing around on and off with Terrain generation for a while. When I say on and off I mean six month gaps. I decided to revisit the standard height field. One area it seemed to lack in was you didn't get cliffs with overhangs or caves. I decided to try instead of just raising the center points when tessellating up and down to move them along a normal to the two adjacent plains to the line. Well what I got was what I expected basically a crumpled up peace of paper. That is what the result looked like not what I did with my notes. My next solution to this issue was to introduce the behavior later in development of the terrain. It turns out that it is best from my testing at least to do so on or after the 4th time through tessellating the entire field or object. Yes, this can be applied to spherical or any other object easily tessellated. the method of tessellation I am using is the one taking the triangle and breaking it into 4 triangles by splitting each side in half. The terrain should be viewable using any of the height field terrain engines. Unless the individual took some sort of short cut and makes assumptions that every triangle is exactly the same shape and size. Not sure if anyone has done something the same way. I know most height fields don't contain any over hangs in fact I can't name a system that generates them other than those using some sort of volume based terrain generation. But with the countless number of papers and projects on the web I am bound to have missed some. When I get my server back up and running I'll post it for people to play with. Till then it should give at least a few ideas in changes one can make.

Advertisement
How 'bout some screenshots? It sounds interesting, but it's a bit hard to follow from the description. I think some screenshots would help clear things up [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!